First MTB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rather than a "what should I get"

What did you get?

Due to my age, I was straight into the mountain bike boom of the late 80's early 90's without realising it,

In about 1991 I got a second hand Raleigh MTB with the standard flat bars, 5 speed friction shift (I could only work out how to use 1st and 5th) and the obligatory cable through the stem cantilever brake arrangement.

It was replaced in 1994/95 I think with a muddy fox explora-mega which had indexed gears with little windows in the top and a needle showing which gear you were in, ridged forks until I fitted suspension forks (second hand from my brother) for a few years before it was stolen out of the garage in 2002

This is the bike I count as my first MTB, I learnt pretty much everything about bikes and riding off road from this, probably had replaced most parts on it over the years I had it (was about 10 when I got it) which set a trend with bikes!

What was your first MTB?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
My first "off the shelf" was an Apollo Outrage

Thinking back, I must have been enthusiastic about MTB because that bike (and I use the term loosely) was enough to put anyone off cycling for life

Salar

A fish out of water
Raleigh Amazon, a great bike and I keep looking online for a cheap one to buy.
My lad had one of those, in a green speckle finish

Bit before you I think. Specialized Rockhopper in about mid eighties.

I've still got a 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp,complete with Biopace chainset and all original parts.

My first mtb was a Marin Muirwoods, followed by a Kona Lava Dome.

Ciar

Veteran
Ooh interesting question, i originally rode BMX when i was kid in the 80's, then i took a sabbatical due to girl friends and the likes, but my first MTB was a GT Tequesta and i also had a Saracen but cant think of the name of it for the life of me!

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
25922FED-C9EF-4CCF-8D21-49BACDA33F3C.jpeg
My first MTB was a Trek 830, fully rigid steel frame with canti brakes, 21 speed and twist grip gears.
I still have it now with slick tyres and and a different A head stem.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
One of these, and I still have it. Front & rear shocks have been upgraded. I bought mine for £800 back in 1998.

p4pb162917.jpg

Alan O

Über Member
First I ever rode was a friend's Marin Bear Mountain, so long ago I can't remember when. A couple of years later I bought a second hand one cheap, and it was a bit of a clunker - I can't even remember what it was now.

Forward to 2016 and I got a Grisley Orion (rigid) for £30 on eBay which only needed a little bit of work.

But I've still not finished it and have never ridden it, because a GT Avalanche 1.0 came up a couple of weeks later for an irresistible £110. And I love that :okay:

Kajjal

Guru
My lad had one of those, in a green speckle finish

I've still got a 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp,complete with Biopace chainset and all original parts.

My first mtb was a Marin Muirwoods, followed by a Kona Lava Dome.

Biopace :ohmy:

Do your knees still function :notworthy:

Top Bottom