First MTB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My first MTB was some Emmelle chromoly thing I rode the heck out of around Reading in ‘91. All I could afford at the time. Upgraded to a Marin Pine Mountain about a year later when I started racing and earning some more cash (from a job, not from racing, I was never that good).

Picked up a Cannondale Super V in about ‘97 and rode that across England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and North Africa. Next bike was a GT Zaskar in 2003 when I got back into racing, a Turner Sixpack in 2005 after the Zaskar got pinched. In 2012 a Banshee Paradox when I wanted to try out a 29er and in 2013 a Specialized P2 when I thought I could teach this old dog to jump. Most recent MTB purchase was a Specialized Stumpjumper in 2016 which I’m still riding and loving, but I am so tempted by the new version that came out this month.

Then there’s the road bikes, recumbents, tandems and cruisers......

OP
OP
Black Sheep
Thanks, some nice nostalgia in here,

To bring my tale up to date, the Muddy fox was replaced by a specialized Hardrock which I wore a few bits out on during the course of the year I had it (it was stolen from me as I rode back to my student digs)

This was replaced by a red Hardrock comp which I had re-painted blue (didn't like red) which I had for a number of years until pretty much only the frame, saddle and seat-post were original) I bent the chainstay coming off it and replaced the frame with an On-One Inbred and made it single-speed.

Alongside this, the original Hardrock was found by myself on my way into uni one day, £50 to the insurance company and it was legally mine again, stripped and sold on ebay, funding a baracuda framed jump bike, the frame then replaced with an Orange MsIsle frame that was white with black splotches, this was taken apart and sold on ebay to fund the road racing bike re-build as singlespeed, while fun to ride off road, was slow for transport.

Jody

Stubborn git
What was your first MTB?

It was almost a Raleigh Activator but ended up being an early 90's GT Talera. So glad I did as the Raleigh would have been fecked in no time and I wouldn't have got as into cycling. Was very heavily modified by the time I snapped the frame and moved on. Remember it fondly for having a great paint job

p2pb13592632.jpg

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
My first proper mtb was a very late 1980's or early 1990's Raleigh Technium (half steel half alu bonded frame) bought used in '92. I loved the thing; did miles and miles of unsuspended 6 speed off road riding. It was replaced in 1996 by a Mongoose Rockadile SX (see https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/oldies-but-goodies.206546/page-2) which I still find I use even today (went out on it last week). The Technium with its older more road like geometry was relegated to an onroad "adventure" touring/commuter bike, which saw me fully loaded from the Czech Republic to the Dutch coast.

Sadly bonding steel to alu really didn't turn out to be a good idea; the seat tube separated soon after, and I chopped the frame up in my cellar to make sure no one else would use it (it really made me feel like I was a murderer getting rid of a body......).

While I loved the bike and I hold sentimental thoughts towards it, it really wasn't very good as an mtb. Unsuspended, heavy and suffering a frame failure. I wouldn't have bought it had I known tbh. The 'goose has been far better.

Top Bottom