First night road ride tonight.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've done several years of night mountain biking and always loved it, especially on moonlit and snowy nights, apart from the drudgery of getting in late covered in filth and having to hose down the bike, change out of damp clothes in a freezing garage then wash all the kit the next day.

Last Autumn my cycling buddy and I bought some of these blindingly bright Cree LED lights, intending to use them to extend the weekly hooligan rides into the Autumn, which they did. Last night I met a friend in Bilsborrow, a few miles from Blackpool and the smell of the sea was strong, putting me in mind of night riding. There was always an idea that we might try some proper night rides so with the clement weather and lack of wind we're going to give it a go tonight, probably around our usual Vuelta de Clitheroe, exactly 17 miles with 1030 ft of climb, usually accomplished in daylight in just over an hour.

I think we will need to go with extra care and watch out for hidden potholes, taking care to warn whoever happens to be behind. I've had close encounters in the past with deer so I guess that we'll also need to watch out for them and for badgers and possibly foxes.

Report tomorrow!

Mireystock

SIip-slidin' down Big Pig...
Sounds good ! Enjoy. :smile:

Wobblers

Euthermic
This is probably a bit late, but... go for it. As long as you've got good lights (and good backups - remember the rule "two is one and one is none" if you don't want to be stranded miles from home in pitch darkness!) and are reasonably familiar with the roads and potholes it isn't any more risky than daytime. Less so, if anything, because there's less traffic and they're far more likely to see you.

I do a lot of night cycling, even in the summer. It's strangely addictive. You get to see far more wildlife: badgers (live ones!), bats, owls, rabbits, foxes, deer, doggers... ^_^ And I haven't even mentioned the spectacular sunsets, the pearly glow of the twilight sky, the glint of the road in the moonlight or the awesome stillness and solitude of being the only one awake for miles in the enfolding darkness.

It's good for the soul. Enjoy!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
This is probably a bit late, but... go for it. As long as you've got good lights (and good backups - remember the rule "two is one and one is none" if you don't want to be stranded miles from home in pitch darkness!) and are reasonably familiar with the roads and potholes it isn't any more risky than daytime. Less so, if anything, because there's less traffic and they're far more likely to see you.

I do a lot of night cycling, even in the summer. It's strangely addictive. You get to see far more wildlife: badgers (live ones!), bats, owls, rabbits, foxes, deer, doggers... ^_^ And I haven't even mentioned the spectacular sunsets, the pearly glow of the twilight sky, the glint of the road in the moonlight or the awesome stillness and solitude of being the only one awake for miles in the enfolding darkness.

It's good for the soul. Enjoy!
^^That. Have fun.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Good it was! The cree lights lasted well for just over an hour of riding and were more than adequate for spotting potholes. Unfortunately the gritters were out so the bike got showered with salt and is going to get a thorough wash tonight; meanwhile it slept in the warm kitchen last night by the Aga to dry it off and reduce the chance of rust then got moved into the front room before Mrs Gti got up. One has to get one's priorities right!

I got up feeling good and bright and the sense of wellbeing is still with me now. So the Wednesday night rides have started early this year! Roll on the sunny summer evenings and the refreshing pint in the pub a couple of miles from home!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to fall off the mountain bike more at night or get small annoying injuries from low branches and such like. But it's fun being out and about when everybody else is vegging in front of their TVs.

Top Bottom