First 'off' in years. How to check for frame alignment and RD alignment?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
Went away for the Bank Holiday weekend, somewhere between Llanymynech and Lake Vyrnwy. Planned on an 80 miler until I had an 'off', which in turn ended up in turning around and heading back. Still managed 52 miles, though, so not all bad.

Chain jammed uphill due to a problematic rear shifter (see below**) and ended up falling onto the drive side of my bike. Luckily, I managed to get across to the other side of a narrow country lane and fall onto grass, but I think the drive side bar end and the RD took the brunt of the impact.

How to check for (aluminium frame) bar alignment, frame alignment (the bike seems OK but I'd like to check the DS chainstay) and how can I align the RD properly? I bent the hanger back out as visually straight as possible on the fly, but it's either that that's out or the RD or RD cage is bent. I just can't see if it needs tweaking without visually inspecting an identical 5700 RD. The cages aren't straight like they used to be, so it's hard to tell what should have a curve in it and what shouldn't.

TIA.

**The shifter problem arose when installing new cables. I couldn't seem to get the throw right when shifting up and down the cassette. I lifted the hood back and looked at the internals, that's when I noticed a little triangle of silver, grey Aluminium move and fall out onto the floor. I couldn't find said piece of Alu and can't for the life of me see where the missing piece has come from.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Went away for the Bank Holiday weekend, somewhere between Llanymynech and Lake Vyrnwy. Planned on an 80 miler until I had an 'off', which in turn ended up in turning around and heading back. Still managed 52 miles, though, so not all bad.

Chain jammed uphill due to a problematic rear shifter (see below**) and ended up falling onto the drive side of my bike. Luckily, I managed to get across to the other side of a narrow country lane and fall onto grass, but I think the drive side bar end and the RD took the brunt of the impact.

How to check for (aluminium frame) bar alignment, frame alignment (the bike seems OK but I'd like to check the DS chainstay) and how can I align the RD properly? I bent the hanger back out as visually straight as possible on the fly, but it's either that that's out or the RD or RD cage is bent. I just can't see if it needs tweaking without visually inspecting an identical 5700 RD. The cages aren't straight like they used to be, so it's hard to tell what should have a curve in it and what shouldn't.

TIA.

**The shifter problem arose when installing new cables. I couldn't seem to get the throw right when shifting up and down the cassette. I lifted the hood back and looked at the internals, that's when I noticed a little triangle of silver, grey Aluminium move and fall out onto the floor. I couldn't find said piece of Alu and can't for the life of me see where the missing piece has come from.
The only way to check hanger alignment is with the tool, sometimes they can be tweaked back but they can become 'weakened' by this. Best to get a shop to fit a new un and align that properly IMO.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
The only way to check hanger alignment is with the tool, sometimes they can be tweaked back but they can become 'weakened' by this. Best to get a shop to fit a new un and align that properly IMO.

Yeah, I'm most definitely going to get a new hanger and align it/have it aligned. I'm a bit concerned about the RD cage, too. Just glad I managed to get over to some grass before I went over. LOL!

Tim Hall

You can also check the alignment of the hanger by unscrewing the RD and screwing another rear wheel into the hole in the hanger and check the distance between the two rims is the same all the way round. This is because the RD thread is the same as the thread on the rear wheel spindle (M10 x 1). Not as simple as using the proper tool but it can be done.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
You can also check the alignment of the hanger by unscrewing the RD and screwing another rear wheel into the hole in the hanger and check the distance between the two rims is the same all the way round. This is because the RD thread is the same as the thread on the rear wheel spindle (M10 x 1). Not as simple as using the proper tool but it can be done.

Had heard of this method before. Will try it later/tomorrow. Thanks, Tim.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Do you mean 'bar alignment'? If so: by eye.

Thought as much. It seems as though the drive side bar, at the last 4 or 5 inches of the drop to the bar end is out by a little. It may be an optical illusion with the bar tape, though.

I'm more concerned with the derailleur cage, I can't see if it's straight or not as there are various curves in place, much the same as the front derailleur cage.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Take the handlebars off (ie undo the stem) and use two six foot lengths of wood (say). Lay one under the bar ends and the other along the top of the bars. This will show any anomaly. If aluminium bars have been bent like this they may go on for ever, but then again they may not. Do you wish to experiment?

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Take the handlebars off (ie undo the stem) and use two six foot lengths of wood (say). Lay one under the bar ends and the other along the top of the bars. This will show any anomaly. If aluminium bars have been bent like this they may go on for ever, but then again they may not. Do you wish to experiment?

I'll take a look and if there is any serious structural damage I'll get new bars.

Top Bottom