first post need some sound advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was going to disagree with Andy, until I saw he was advocating spending decent money on the suspension seatpost. Cheap suspension seatposts are a real false economy - and there's lots of them about on bikes.

OP
OP
A

argonaut

The suspension seat post sound like a good idea. Thanks again. Looking forward to the bike shop tomorrow. Is it safe to take my plastic with me?:-)

OP
OP
A

argonaut

Well I was excited this morning. I have done what EVERYBODY said and visited my LBS. I've got to ask WHY???

My first trip earlier in the week ended in disappointment. I have visited another two today. I got treated exactly the same way. In the last one (EVER) the owner said that they didn't cater for older people. Bloody hell I'm only 56. It must be an age thing.

So guys, I will not be getting back in the saddle after being treated like this in three LBS,s.

Enjoy your cycling now because when you get older nobody gives a shoot.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have to say I am shocked by the response you have received at these three LBS,s, I can't believe there isn't a good LBS somewhere near where you live argonaut. Don't give up there is a bike out there to suit everyone, you just need to find it. Tell us the area where you live and we will try to help to find a good one.

OP
OP
A

argonaut

Thanks Jock for the kind words. I have heard of another shop with good reviews. Leisurelakes in Bury,Lancashire. I just might have a drive over there and see how it goes.

I have to say I've been surprised myself the way it's gone. The economic climate at the moment is bad. I thought they would be falling over themselves to sell gear.

Got to be an age thing?

OP
OP
A

argonaut

Rapples,
sorry for not answering your post. I've had a moody on over trying to find a bike(well buy a bike). Thanks for the link,I found it brought back a few memories.

I never had a problem with the forks on mine. It looks as though I was lucky. I sold the bike in late 1980. Just hope the buyer had no problems.

Cheers.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Argonaut,

stick with it. I think most of us are surprised (and disgusted) at the lack of service offered you so far. Good luck in Bury. Maybe a phone call to your nearest cycling club would generate some decent recommendations.

Sorry to hear of your shoddy treatment, argonaut!

Don't be disillusioned by the attitude of these fools in the lbs! Cycling IS a leisure pursuit that can be enjoyed by nearly everyone, regardles of age, ability, style of riding etc.
Once sorted, you will benefit immensely from cycling.
Persevere a little longer and you shall reap!
Good luck, and remember; there's tons of good, and better, advice here. :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Im afraid there are some bike shops (like any sort of shops) where the staff are dismissive and don't give a toss, sounds like you've been unlucky to hit several in a row. I expect they'd be much the same if a woman went in an asked for something specific - it sounds like they just want to sell what they want to sell, and if they don't reckon you'll buy it, they aren't bothered. If you're not a kid wanting something full suss and pose-y, forget it... Name and shame them I say. They deserve to go under.

Also, it can make a difference if it's the boss, or just the saturday staff etc - I've had variable experiences in the same shop... Sometimes, it's just down to whether they think you know what you're talking about (which is crap, because someone who doesn't now, is the person who needs the best help).

Definately persevere....

OP
OP
A

argonaut

Thanks for all the posts' I've decided to scratch build one myself. Probably for me,it's a good option. The age won't get in the way of proceedings :ohmy:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
argonaut said:
Thanks for all the posts' I've decided to scratch build one myself. Probably for me,it's a good option. The age won't get in the way of proceedings :biggrin:

Good on you argonaut :biggrin: let us know how you get on...

beardedwombat

Hi all and greetings from a newbie. Argonaut, I too have decided to lift my creaky leg over a saddle again but my experience has been different to yours. I am 61 and look as if I am 6 months pregnant - not good for a bloke! I decided a new bike would be an excellent way of helping me to regain my former, somewhat sleeker, shape (some hope!). Having surfed a few sites to gen up a bit I visited my LBS. I have been in retail sales for 40 years and tend to judge a shop by its employees. I am reluctant to buy from poorly trained staff. When I arrived at the shop it was quite busy and I had to hang around for a while, a good sign as it means it is popular. The young guy who dealt with me was obviously knowledgable, a keen cyclist and keen to flog me a bike. I was offered road tests without having to ask and eventually settled on a Giant CRS 1.0. It was not cheap at £500 but they chucked in some free gear to close the deal. I found this bike to be light, very responsive and comfortable to ride with what seem to me to be good quality components. As a newbie I would be interested in knowing what others here think of my choice. I would strongly suggest that you give another LBS a chance and, whilst there, investigate a few Giant models. You may find it cheaper in the long run than building your own! I will be getting my new bike in a couple of days as the one I tried was a size too big - can't wait to feel the wind and flies in my (sparse) hair again........

Top Bottom