first post need some sound advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

argonaut

After a visit to the GP to ask if I could get back into cycling I've been looking around at bikes. 56 years old now and 28 years out of the saddle:smile: All my mates are in their second childhood buying faaaast motorbikes to kill themselves on. I thought, back to peddle power to kill myself:smile:.

Wow! things have changed a bit. My last bike was a Viscount Aerospace:ohmy: Anybody remember these?

I have been looking at a Scott Sportster P45 Hybrid. Mainly road and canal bridleways(flat you see for the old guy). I can use both on the way to work(7 miles).

So guys, what do you think? I'm open to suggestions being very new at this game. Well, most suggestions.

argonaut said:
After a visit to the GP to ask if I could get back into cycling I've been looking around at bikes. 56 years old now and 28 years out of the saddle:smile: All my mates are in their second childhood buying faaaast motorbikes to kill themselves on. I thought, back to peddle power to kill myself:smile:.

Wow! things have changed a bit. My last bike was a Viscount Aerospace:ohmy: Anybody remember these?

I have been looking at a Scott Sportster P45 Hybrid. Mainly road and canal bridleways(flat you see for the old guy). I can use both on the way to work(7 miles).

So guys, what do you think? I'm open to suggestions being very new at this game. Well, most suggestions.

I cant help with models...

But if your basically sticking to tarmac, I would recommend a hybrid with slick tyres, and a quality stirrup pump to get the air preasure high enough

Adrian

Danny

Legendary Member
Welcome.

I would personally avoid the Sportster as I believe it has a suspension fork. Suspension forks are great for really rough terrain, but will slow you down on roads and towpaths.

If you are keen on Scott bikes I would suggest you look at the Sub range - my son has a Sub 30 and it has been pretty good, but the Sub 20 and 10 both have better components (albeit at a higher price).

However there are plenty of similar bikes on the market. I would therefore suggest that the key thing for you to do is to find a good local bike shop (LBS) who can advise you on the best bike to get for your needs. A good LBS will also let you try out different bikes before you buy, and who provide good after sales support - which usually includes free servicing for a year.

Whatever you buy, enjoy your return to cycling.

Viscount Aerospace eh? Wicked bike, shame about the fork recall and stupid BB but a great bike nontheless.

Agree totally with Dannyg's advice, your LBS should be your first port of call. Visit as many shops as you can and take your time about buying your bike. The advice you receive from them and from the good folks here will help you to refine your choice. The more time you spend researching the subject the better your eventual purchase will suit your needs.

Welcome back.

I have a Scott Sportster P3 and find it a very capable bike indeed.

I have slicks on it, and despite the front suspension, have no criticism of it at all.

I used mine on a 4,000 km trip down through Europe, and having just broke my collarbone falling from a different bike, wanted something that wouldn't jar my recently-broken bone.

At the age of 56, I suspect you're not too worried about speed (I'm 48) but would prefer an all-round comfortable ride instead.

If and when you realise you want to go faster/further, by all means treat yourself to a road bike.

Good luck and enjoy yourself!

Keith Oates

Janner
Dayvo is right about the front suspension, unless you consider you're going to be trying to keep up with fast riders etc. the extra comfort will help after a long time off a bike. I commute on a MTB (mountain bike) with front suspension and am generally around the 28 to 30 Km/hr mark so they don't have to be slow. There are many makes of bike and all the good names (Scott is one) are usually more than adequate but if you see one that 'Catches your eye' go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Oates said:
Dayvo is right about the front suspension, unless you consider you're going to be trying to keep up with fast riders etc. the extra comfort will help after a long time off a bike. I commute on a MTB (mountain bike) with front suspension and am generally around the 28 to 30 Km/hr mark so they don't have to be slow. There are many makes of bike and all the good names (Scott is one) are usually more than adequate but if you see one that 'Catches your eye' go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a MTB for winter commuting, and I confess I was in two minds about the suspension front fork when I bought it - some said 'good idea', others said 'no way!'. I went for it. As I use the bike for trail riding too, I'm pleased that I did. A good all-round solution for the uses I wanted it for, IME.

Perry

As all of the above:
a) Slicks
:becool: No Suspension
c) High tyre pressure

Welcome back to the world of cycling, after 28 years not being in the saddle you will notice how dangerous the roads have got.

Willow

I bought a mongoose 450. I have the ability to change the suspension and it has been useful even in the few weeks I've had it - I've changed it as I've been riding sometimes because road is so rough other times because I've gone onto bumpy paths. It goes much faster than my beloved 20 year old mountain bike but I have to say if I was not on the road for the majority of the time I would probably have stuck to a mountain bike and even with hindsight am wondering if that would be better given the state of the local roads. But the thinner wheels are definitely faster. I'm such a heathen that I think you have to like the look of it, and to be honest I'm not quite there with this one, preferred my old giant to look at but was trying to get my head to rule my heart!

Iggy1969

I have a front suspension mountain bike (albeit a cheap one) it's hard work but the suspension helps with the bumps in the roads. Am thinking of switching to a hybrid, & will probably stick with the front suspension. What are the good makes of hybrids. I'm fairly new to cycling.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
postman said:
Go and find a trek 4300.If i remember you can lock out the front suspension.Then unlock when needed.

4300 is a full MTB though, isn't it? From what the OP said a 7300 (hybrid, front sus, lockable fork) may be better.

I tried a 7300 vs 7.3FX back to back and couldn't feel a lot of difference in speed or weight, but that's maybe just me.

OP
OP
A

argonaut

Just an update on where I am after reading some interesting answers.

I have been to my LBS and came away well disappointed. Didn't even offer me a sit on a bike. I asked a few questions and they couldn't be bothered really. Oh, the shop was empty by the way so it wasn't busy. I'm not going to mention which bike shop. I have had good reports on another shop a few miles away so I will be heading there Sunday.

Still leaning towards a little suspension for a comfier ride (old bones). Not a speed merchant these days. Trade speed for comfort.

Thank you for all your reply's so far.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I agree with Mr Paul on the suspension seat post as being a very good option. I had an aluminium framed bike which was very jarring (relative to my steel framed tourer) and I got a thud buster seat post (made by Cane Creek if I remember rightly) which was quite expensive but definitely worth every penny. It has another advantage which is if you later decide to upgrade bikes, you just put the old seat post back on and keep the suspension one for your next bike, so it really should be a one off investment.

Top Bottom