First project - What do you think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brahan

Über Member
2lo3u9x.jpg
I I got an old Nishiki from the 1980s for £10 but couldn't stand the pink/purple colour scheme so decided to do something about it. After asking around on Cyclechat it seemed that a complete strip and respray done by myself was too laborious and risked leaving the frame in a complete mess (I'll try one in the future, honest) so I found a powder coater who stripped, treated and coated it for £35. Not bad huh?

Anyway here it is. Unfinished as you can see because I'm not sure whether to stick all the gear back on or turn it into a single/fixed.

The handlebars are for the TT bike I'm going to build in the near future but I thought they would look pretty cool on this.....

Money is the issue here so if I am going to consider a fixed it would need to be cheapy cheap-cheap.

I would love to hear what you think of it.

Ta much

14inytg.jpg

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I like it - shame the forks don't match the frame, but still rather pleasing on the eye. I'd go fixed... but that's just 'cause I want a fixie!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Go for it as a fixed. It would be nice with those bars on:becool:
It will sort of look like my hack fixed(£3.09 and a half P bike), but my hack fixed is abit more tighter on the clearences and doeasnt look so new;)
Very nice:becool:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Joe24 said:
Go for it as a fixed. It would be nice with those bars on:becool:
It will sort of look like my hack fixed(£3.09 and a half P bike), but my hack fixed is abit more tighter on the clearences and doeasnt look so new;)
Very nice:becool:
I get the feeling you're quite proud about that, Joe! :tongue:;)

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Thanks guys, I thought I'd be brave and go for yellow and white - I quite like it.
So is it just a case of buying a fixed rear wheel and sticking it on?

Tel

Veteran
Brahan said:
So is it just a case of buying a fixed rear wheel and sticking it on?

What hub are you running, cassette or freewheel? If it's a freewheel you can whip it off and just fit a fixed sprocket, re-space & re-dish the wheel job done.

Tel

Veteran
Ebay of course! Mine cost me £5 BIN inc p&p. May also be listed as a cog, if you know what size you want then search 16t fixed for example.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
stoatsngroats said:
Where do you get a 'fixed sproket' from.....?;)

Hubjub, planet ex, Charlie the bike monger, ebay, people you know that ued to ride fixed or have rode fixed for many years.............

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Before I commit to a single or fixed I've been riding for the last two days on my small chainring at the front which is 42 tooth and while leaving the whole cassette on the rear I've wrapped the chain around my 16 tooth which seems ok. There were a couple of hills on my chosen route home last night which got the heart pumping hard but I don't know yet......I mean I like how the bike looks without the clutter of gears etc and it's fun but there just doesn't seem to be enough speed. So as yet am undecided but it's looking likely that the gears may be making a come back.......

Top Bottom