First proper tour in ages - two weeks in Spain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
The uphill/hot day exceptions have been scrapped.
Helmets are not required in urban areas. Urban/not urban is defined by the entering or leaving village/town signs.

Enforcement is more likely the more you look like a racing cyclist, or if you are in an area popular with racing cyclists (eg Majorca)
I'd better warn my friend as she is coming from the Netherlands where helmets really aren't a thing.

Sallar55

Veteran
This route is based on the club des cent cols route from the Pyrenees to Tarifa. Done this a few years ago, at first I thought its going to be a tour of the olive plantations after leaving the foothills of the Pyrenees . Totally wrong lots of national parks and amazing towns and villages. This is touring in the real Spain, away from holiday complexes and expat enclaves. Once you are about 100kms south of the Pyrenees camping is limited. Little hotels, pensions and some of the motorway hotels are ace. Booking was easy, a cheaper option was go direct to the Little family hotels. They could give you a discount to match the price they received from the booking sites.

My first flight with a bike for 13 years tomorrow
I'm just outside of Toledo and after a night's rain and near freezing temperatures the sky is a bright blue and the sun is working magic!

Have a great adventure! Spain is simply wonderful!

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I've made it to Spain 😊. We were picturing ourselves at the campsite pool in bikinis, instead we're in four layers because it's snowed :ohmy:. We were here looking for adventure and we've certainly found it! Holed up in a cabin and eating our way through the bar's selection of artisan cheese. Currently supping a very welcome hot chocolate by the fire. It's been snowing for over 24 hours and we don't know when it's going to stop.

We've started a CGOAB journal https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3d2&doc_id=24148&v=1p

The snow makes a MUCH cooler story than boring sun-bleached rocks (and hair)!
we want dog pics

1649175796616.png

It's been snowing for over 24 hours and we don't know when it's going to stop.

I think I'm on the other side of the mountains to you and I'm expecting the snow to stop sometime tonight (Tuesday).
However, they don't seem especially well prepared for snow or else take a very laid back approach to clearing it. The next few days should be interesting! ^_^

Good luck!

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
We saw snow ploughs on the way over but they weren't going out again until it stopped snowing. It looked like a slick operation. Hoping they are out now so we can move today
I think I'm on the other side of the mountains to you and I'm expecting the snow to stop sometime tonight (Tuesday).
However, they don't seem especially well prepared for snow or else take a very laid back approach to clearing it. The next few days should be interesting! ^_^

Good luck!

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
My tour is sadly coming to an end. Now in Madrid being a tourist before flying home. I've loved it. It's the first holiday I can remember where work has barely crossed my mind. Touring is all consuming, making sure you have enough food and water and finding somewhere to sleep. You really have to live in the moment. Having two weeks has been fab as I could forget about logistics for getting home for at least a week. I love being able to go with the flow on tour and plan according to my fitness and the weather. I'm glad the snow came early on otherwise it could have got stressful!

We've been keeping the CGOAB blog up to date (link above).

robjh

Legendary Member
Looks like a great tour, and a great write-up. I rode from Valencia to Santander at this time 4 years ago so remember how cold it can be, but had no more than a dusting of snow then. But oh the headwinds...

Top Bottom