First Puncture but very mysterious

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Irishrich

Über Member
I've been riding my first road bike for 3 weeks so far doing about 3 rides per week and averaging around 25 miles on decent roads. Last night I came home from a 25 mile ride, washed down the bike etc and stored it in the garage which is clean and dry. I come in this evening and see that the bike has a flat front tyre. I took off the tyre and tube (which is still half full of air) but can't see any holes on first inspection. I will repair the tube properly later but am wondering how I could have got a puncture overnight in the garage as the tyres were perfect when I put the bike away last night?

BSRU

A Human Being
Could be a faulty valve.

Pauluk

I had a sloooow puncture and it was only when I put the inflated tube in a bowl of water could I detect the leak and even then I only got the odd bubble, it had barely pierced the tube. Found a thorn pressed almost flat in the inside of the tyre and only found that after almost turning the tyre inside out. I've also gone to the garage for my bike and found the tyre completely flat, never to find out what was wrong. These fairies are often cunning little bs

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
I found the tiny puncture after immersing it in water but there was barely a bubble. I proceeded to repair the tube but just to use as a spare and put in a new tube to be on the safe side. I checked the tyre carefully for signs of anything that would have pierced the tube but found nothing. Went out on a ride and got 4 miles before the front tyre punctured again. Had to get the mrs to pick me up as I wasnt in the mood for repairing a tube on the road side. After 30 solid minutes checking the tyre I found a tiny shard of glass so small it was almost impossible to spot with the naked eye as it has embedded into the tyre wall. I'm going to try another ride tonight but am hoping I have found the cause and wont have another short lived ride. Do you guys think it is ok to use the patched tube for a while rather than having to go out and buy a new tube immediately?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Have you checked the inside of your tyre? You might have something tiny poking through hence the second puncture. Happened to me the other week.

Patched tubes are fine. I think both my tubes are patched at the moment, as is my spare. I am off to the bike shop when I have finished online.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

Your inner tube could have 20 patches and still be perfectly ok to use. Next time, change it at the roadside - practice makes perfect. It takes me less than ten minutes to change and re-inflate an inner tube.

Many people struggle to get the tyre back on the wheel but if you know how, it's extremely easy. An inflated tyre naturally sits on two small ledges inside the rim. When you're reinstalling the tyre, make sure the beading isn't sat on those ledges - push it off (squeeze both tyrewalls), into the spoke area. That stops the tyre from getting very tight on that last troublesome section and you can just push it on with your thumbs, with hardly any trouble.

Top Bottom