First puncture...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
I very nearly posted in the 'tyres sucking the life out of me' thread the other day to say that while Marathon Plus tyres might be heavier and slower, I happily accept that for the puncture protection - especially on a bike that's only used for commuting.

But I thought I'd jinx myself if I did.

And then, this morning I got my first puncture.

I thought about the irony of that, but it turns out that it was a tiny split on the seam on the inside, so my tyres are still puncture proof. :bravo:

7,149 commuting miles without a 'foreign object' puncture.

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
Wishing you constantly full inflation for the next 7,149+ miles:smile:.

D

Deleted member 1258

I very nearly posted in the 'tyres sucking the life out of me' thread the other day to say that while Marathon Plus tyres might be heavier and slower, I happily accept that for the puncture protection - especially on a bike that's only used for commuting.

But I thought I'd jinx myself if I did.

And then, this morning I got my first puncture.

I thought about the irony of that, and it turns out that it was a tiny split on the seam on the inside, so my tyres are still puncture proof. :bravo:

7,149 miles without a 'foreign object' puncture.

I've got Durano plus on my bikes and I'm well over 5000 miles puncture free.

My Schwalbe Big Apple tyres are not as tough as M+ but pretty resilliant. My 20" trailer ones are leaking due to a friction caused slow leak.
Modern tyres are brilliant.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Two in the rain,both back wheel on Tuesday.Needless to say I fecked the Tyre off when home.Basil Fawlty style !

:laugh:

I shouldn't laugh at that, but I could see myself doing exactly the same.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had three punctures in the Marathons on my Brompton.

A little disappointing given that I didn't do many miles on it.

Are tyres on small wheels more prone to punctures?

Seems unlikely, but I don't get as many punctures on my bikes with 'full size' tyres.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
I've definitely had fewer punctures with the Brompton compared to my old Dahon Matrix.

I've gone almost 3 and half years without a puncture until now. I'd say I averaged about one a year on the Dahon. but while I used tyres with some protection, I never invested in Marathon Plusses for that bike. Specialized Nimbus Armadillos were (I think) the last tyres I bought for it.

12boy

Guru
My lbs suggested stan's sealant in my innertubes in preparation for a trip to New Mexico where a local thorn caled goatheads love to grow adjacent to bike paths. Since then, no flats. The sealant dries up in a couple of years so I will replace the tubes but being flat free, if it continues to work will be worth it.

Slick

Guru
I'll need to stop upsetting the puncture fairy as I seem to get loads. Yesterday was my first on the 32mm tyres which ended up being the easiest tyre to get both off and on which actually was a bit of a pleasure after Duranos, gatorskins and Marathons. :eek:

Top Bottom