First race - will I be up to the standard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bbvelo

Regular
While I'm not strictly a begginer, I am new to road racing. I have dabbled in CX and XC mtb races before and have done a hill climb. I have been training properly for a couple months now and have just done my 2nd power test. My FTP is 269 watts - 4.86 w/kg, my 1 min power is 492 watts - 8.88w/kg, my 5 min power is 310 watts - 5.6 w/kg and my 5 sec power is 640 - 11.55 w/kg. With these stats, and a fairly un-aero bike, should I be able to keep up with good level, youth riders on a flat, 40 minute circuit race?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I like to think you will do well. And enjoy it I hope. Go for it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Treat your first race as a learning experience and see what you can do. Good luck and do report back.

P.S. I would love those power to weight figures but I love my food and drink more and I do not race.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Another who doesn't really know or care about the equations but I would like to wish you well on your first run and hopefully we will get to read how it went. :thumbsup:

CXRAndy

Guru
I don't know what any of that means, but good luck!

It means he weighs 55KG 8st 8lb and goes like shoot off a shovel. Impressive numbers for a lightweight rider

If you can cope with the repeated max efforts and stay in the main pack, you will do just fine. Good luck, report back your experience of your first race

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Racing is more than just numbers. You have great numbers, but in a crit it is rarely the fastest rider on paper who wins. Treat your first race as a learning experience. I would suggest you should be able to stay near the front, accelerate out of every corner and be prepared to go with the leaders in the last few corners. Hiding at the back the whole race won’t teach you a huge amount. Good luck!

OP
OP
bbvelo

bbvelo

Regular
Thanks guys, I will report back after my race. The circuit is pretty much as untechnical as you can get. It's pretty much a race round an outdoor velodrome.

Sharky

Guru
Probably depends on what the standard is of the other riders.
Whatever, though, you'll learn a lot from your first race and next time your standard will be a notch higher.

Good luck

OP
OP
bbvelo

bbvelo

Regular
It means he weighs 55KG 8st 8lb and goes like shoot off a shovel. Impressive numbers for a lightweight rider

If you can cope with the repeated max efforts and stay in the main pack, you will do just fine. Good luck, report back your experience of your first race
Cheers. I have done a little bit of work on max efforts + fast recoverys through my plan on sufferfest, but for the next week I'll work on them as a focus. I've still got 2 weeks till race day.

Dave7

Legendary Member

Bloody hell, Ive got a stomach that weighs more than that :sad:

Top Bottom