First recumbent on my route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Passed a bloke on a recumbent zipping along in the opposite direction this morning near the bridge over Crewe Toll. First one I've seen since I started commuting in April last year.

I really want a go on one. They look fabulous fun to ride :thumbsup:

Andy 71

I'm dead jealous.

Not only can I not afford one (which is the most significant factor) but I wouldn't be able to take it on the train either.

I wouldn't mind the stares of wonderment from passers-by, but I wonder what impact the lower riding position would have on my visibility and ability to manouver in heavy London traffic.

bonj2

I'm sure people can probably guess/already know my feelings on recumbents, so I'll not bother to state them again.

bonj2

Keith Oates said:
Now, let me guess..............................................No, give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, seeing as you really want to know...they're a deathtrap.
You can't see where you're going as well as on a normal bike, not to mention the fact that you're so much lower down so people can't see you.
They're more unstable - your centre of gravity is lower down, so minor adjustments in your horizontal position don't work as well.
They're unhealthy / unergonomic: you're constantly having to bend your neck forward to see what's ahead - can't be healthy on the spine or neck. Plus, your legs are pointing forwards when doing work - making your legs work under decreased bloodflow is harder and can't possibly be healthy.
And please don't say "but you haven't ever ridden one bonj" because I have once ridden one, that a mate had inherited from somebody and was selling but before he did asked me and a few others if we wanted to come round and have a go on it for a laugh. Needless to say I fell off it several times trying to go round his yard and up and down his road, but managed to get going for a bit. Even so, I judged it to be a work of absolute crapola.

bonj said:
Well, seeing as you really want to know...they're a deathtrap.
You can't see where you're going as well as on a normal bike, not to mention the fact that you're so much lower down so people can't see you.

Myths!

Unless you are riding a real racing one, most "street recumbents" have the head in a neutral position. In fact you are under much less strain than on a racing machine, or mountain bike where the neck is much further back.Your field of view is much more open and natural

Visibilty is again a unfounded worry. I am taller on my street machine than many children an a few women riders on DFs. What is important is sensible riding. Providing you are not undertaking artics and other silly antics, you will have no problems.

Most drivers should be looking a hundred yards ahead for road markings, bollards etc, all of which are lower. At the distances drivers should be looking height is not a factor.

The ones who "don't see you" are the same ones who don't see ANY bike!

They're more unstable - your centre of gravity is lower down, so minor adjustments in your horizontal position don't work as well.

As with any bike it is simply acquiring the skills. A recumbent handles as well in most cases as a DF. If you have problems "nipping through a gap" then shouldn't one be querying the wisdom of the move rather than the ability of the machine?

I have no more problems with maneoverability or stability than with any other machine In fact the Trike is outstanding in both cases.

Also don't forget a lower CoG will make the bike safer in a fall as there is less distance and hence less impact!

They're unhealthy / unergonomic: you're constantly having to bend your neck forward to see what's ahead - can't be healthy on the spine or neck. Plus, your legs are pointing forwards when doing work - making your legs work under decreased blood flow is harder and can't possibly be healthy.

Again myths...

You don't need to bend your neck anywhere on a street designed machine. Even on my Hurricane this is not he case and that is a "low rider". As above, you are under far less strain with flexion than with the extended neck required on a mountain bike or racing machine.

As for the leg position, this is a benefit. That is why all gyms have recumbent cycling machines!. The fact that you can use bigger muscles as you can lock your hip into the seat makes the potential power output greater.

Like with any development in fitness the body will compensate, and there is no problem with the legs adapting to this position. The resultant increased blood flow actually makes this position more efficient - again try and find a gym without a recumbent machine!

And please don't say "but you haven't ever ridden one bonj" because I have once ridden one, that a mate had inherited from somebody and was selling but before he did asked me and a few others if we wanted to come round and have a go on it for a laugh. Needless to say I fell off it several times trying to go round his yard and up and down his road, but managed to get going for a bit. Even so, I judged it to be a work of absolute crapola.

Which machine was this, there area number of formats some easier than others. Personally I have 4, :
Street Machine GT - Shopping, commuting, touring
Catrike Expedition - as above
Linear - Normally shows etc now due to it's age and status
Challenge Hurricane - fast days out without luggage

Each one is completely different in design, handling, use and comfort. Using a single one to decide that it is "Crapola" is like driving a 1970's Skoda and then declaring that a modern luxury car is rubbish.

PS - they even go off road on hill tracks across the Pennines!
Woodhead_Pass.jpg

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Cunobelin said:
Personally I have 4, :
Street Machine GT - Shopping, commuting, touring
Catrike Expedition - as above
Linear - Normally shows etc now due to it's age and status
Challenge Hurricane - fast days out without luggage

PS - they even go off road on hill tracks across the Pennines!

So which one are using off road?

Off roading recumbent

That is the Street Machine, dual suspension and a comfortable hard seat.

The Hurricane is too low (not for safety, but because your buttocks get stung by nettles) and the Catrike too wide for some tracks. As I said above the Linear is now 25 years old and comes out fro the occasional rally rather than a daily use machine.

Cab

Last week I passed two recumbents and three unicycles. Haven't seen the rowing machine bike man in a while, hope he's okay.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cab said:
Last week I passed two recumbents and three unicycles. Haven't seen the rowing machine bike man in a while, hope he's okay.

Had a go on a rowing trike the other day! Too big for me, so I couldn't really test it, but it would certainly zing along for the right rider. The steering took a while to get used to, but with a bit of practice, I guess it would be fine...

Why is is that some of us see something new and think "Cool!" and some others automatically crawl back under their rock muttering...?

bonj2

Arch said:
Had a go on a rowing trike the other day! Too big for me, so I couldn't really test it, but it would certainly zing along for the right rider. The steering took a while to get used to, but with a bit of practice, I guess it would be fine...

Why is is that some of us see something new and think "Cool!" and some others automatically crawl back under their rock muttering...?

According to wikipedia they've been around since the mid 19th century - I wouldn't call that 'new'. Still haven't taken off.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
According to wikipedia they've been around since the mid 19th century - I wouldn't call that 'new'. Still haven't taken off.

Apologies. By 'new' I meant 'new to our personal experience', but you are right, they've been around a while.

Not taken off eh? What exactly do you mean by taken off? I mean we all know the world has to bend to your logic, so what do recumbents have to do to 'take off'. One owned by every cyclist? One in every household? Why not just admit that some people like them and have them - either exclusively or together with uprights, a lot of people would like one, but can't afford one, or don't have space for more than just one bike, and a lot of people who've never seen one look at them and say "That's cool!".

You stick to what you like, and stop telling other people what's good and what's bad, especially on subjects you know nothing about.

Top Bottom