First ride Marathon plus puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
tee hee

if anyone had problems like this with another tyre all the M+ owners wold be prosing on about M+

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Looking at those images again, I reckon that flint entered the tyre very early on in the ride. Notice how the central mould fluting is almost worn away except for where the flint was( the flint was slightly pround of the tyre)

That very bad lane i went down was about 1 1/2 miles from home(homeward bound) on something like a 5-6 mile ride. Now if that puncture had occured near the end of the ride then that fluting would have been almost worn the same as the rest when in fact it looks like no wear has occured in that area.

I really wonder if i picked that up on my own flint covered driveway maybe. The flint is obviously laying thicker on the drive than it would on the road and would have had a chance to sit there point up waiting to harpoon a passing Marathon.

Maybe I should have been a detective:biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
WHAT!!!!!! tell me it's not so OT, you're not actually starting and finishing your rides across gravel/flint? Get a new drive or wheel it very gently over the stuff. Your e-bike is probably quite hefty so you could easily get a bit lodged as you start off.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
MacB said:
WHAT!!!!!! tell me it's not so OT, you're not actually starting and finishing your rides across gravel/flint? Get a new drive or wheel it very gently over the stuff. Your e-bike is probably quite hefty so you could easily get a bit lodged as you start off.

Yeh! you are correct. I`ve always wheeled them(4) over the gravel and maybe it`s time to lift them.

I was just wondering if it`s logical to have some sort of tyre scraper, like maybe a thin wire type of thing that just kisses the tyres?

Noodley

I'd write to the council and ask if they could place cotton wool across all the road surfaces you intend to cycle on....;)

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Noodley said:
I'd write to the council and ask if they could place cotton wool across all the road surfaces you intend to cycle on....;)

You know it`s a funny thing. when the farmers are bringing crops off of the fields the entrances get crud on them 12" thick at times. To the point where you don`t even want to drive across in your car let alone a bike.

When I was a lot younger I drove a tipper lorry for a short while and the local councils were red hot on us leaving a site and leaving mud on the road. We used to back up to a pair of 40 gallon drums, tip our backs up and as the rear end went down onto the drums it lifted the rear wheels off of the ground and we then had to clean between the double back tyres, failing to do this led to being thrown off of the site and a poss fine.
I`ve often wondered what the legal position would be if a cyclist or motorcyclist (or even a car) had an accident due to the crud on the road around here?

Now I`m not expecting the roads around here to be like a town and realise that the farmers have to do there work but it wouldn`t be beyond them maybe forming some sort of co-operative where they buy and use between them some sort of road sweeping vehicle. It really does get bad at times. I`ve had to do more work on my brakes since living here and replacing brake disks is the norm(not from wear but from corrosion.)

Crankarm

Guru
OT - What I am curious about is why you chose to ride aong this flint farm track with your new M+ tyres anyway? Asking for trouble isn't it?

You can protect your tube from slits in your tyre caused by glass, etc. by cutting a piece of old tyre and placing that between the tube and damaged tyre. S'pose you could glue it in place.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Crankarm said:
OT - What I am curious about is why you chose to ride aong this flint farm track with your new M+ tyres anyway? Asking for trouble isn't it?

You can protect your tube from slits in your tyre caused by glass, etc. by cutting a piece of old tyre and placing that between the tube and damaged tyre. S'pose you could glue it in place.

It wasn`t a farm track, it was a country lane(asphalt) but what with the snow etc a lot or crud seems to have washed onto the road. I had ridden down it before with normal tyres and been ok.

This winter has been bad for rubbish on our lanes but what can you do!
I`ll see how it goes and if I puncture again soon then I`ll fit something inside the tyre.

When I look back at when I was a teenager then punctures were not a regular occurance. I would happily go out for a 60 mile run without a repair kit and never got caught out.

Old timer said:
I`ve often wondered what the legal position would be if a cyclist or motorcyclist (or even a car) had an accident due to the crud on the road around here?

Knowing someone who was disabled following a motorcycle crash on mud left by farmers vehicles, absolutely nothing unless you can prove who left the mud on the road ie. witness of it dropping and the actual crash. ;).

potsy

Rambler
Thought I had my 1st M+ pun*tu*e today,1/2 mile from home outward bound heard the thwacking sound from the front,stopped quick and there was a dirty great thorn sticking straight through the middle of the tread.
Wriggled it out and all was well:biggrin: Think any other tyre and I'd have been going back home for the car.
Stick that in your pipe Tynan:tongue:

Top Bottom