First ride Marathon plus puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
First ride out on my brand new Marathon plus tyres, chose a bad country lane with lots of crud, flint and general mess where tractors had been coming out of fields. Got home and checked and the front was going down. Found the spot and it was a 3/8ths inch long piece of flint, perfect needle point going back to about almost 1/2" diameter. Still in tyre. Only just managed to pierce tube.

No big rips on the inside of tyre, just a dirty mark where the needle end came through. On the outside of case and if I bend tyre to open up damage it gapes and you can see the damage in the blue liner. Looking at the damage I don`t think the tube will bellow out of the hole as the inner case is intact. If I don`t distort the tyre then the damage is hard to see.
For sure if I run over a stone and it goes in that same spot it will puncture I think.

What do you guys and girls reckon? New tyre? or put something on the inside?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Keep the tyre. Whether you fill/put something inside whatever is up to you as you have the hassle of refitting the blighter :smile:. The M+s get all sorts of weird nicks and scratches over time, not much to worry about.

redjedi

Über Member
I wouldn't worry about it.

You could always put a dab of superglue in the cut to help keep it closed.

And don't get too downhearted about getting a flat with these tyres. You won't get many more.
I had mine for 2 years without getting a flat before I wore a hole in them, good tyres.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I think it ought to be fine. I've got two giant holes in my normal marathons (can see the yellow/blue interior) and unless I'm unlucky enough to get a flint in exactly the same holes, I think I should be OK.

One of the holes was so significant that I patched the inside of the tyre with a puncture repair patch to prevent gravel and dust getting in there.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
OK! Thanks. I think I`ll put the tube back in the same place with the patch on and that might re-inforce that area.

Dave

Actually, thinking about it, I think it might be better to turn the tube around with a patch and put a patch on the inside of the tyre to help strengthen that spot.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Old timer said:
OK! Thanks. I think I`ll put the tube back in the same place with the patch on and that might re-inforce that area.

Dave

Actually, thinking about it, I think it might be better to turn the tube around with a patch and put a patch on the inside of the tyre to help strengthen that spot.

Do you think a patch inside the tyre will rub the tube and cause problems?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Old timer said:
Do you think a patch inside the tyre will rub the tube and cause problems?

Interesting question, gut reaction is no, the inner tube is at high enough pressure that it shouldn't be moving anyway. I've never tried it but if it works for AH then it should be fine.

It is probably worth putting a bit of superglue in the cut, may help.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I've got patches on the insides of two of my three tyres in use and so far I don't seem to have had any problems.

One of the patches was needed as a tiny bit of kevlar had clearly lifted and eventually rubbed away at the inner tube. The tyre was almost new so I wanted to somehow keep it going a bit longer. It's done another 900-ish miles with no problems yet.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Auntie Helen said:
I've got patches on the insides of two of my three tyres in use and so far I don't seem to have had any problems.

One of the patches was needed as a tiny bit of kevlar had clearly lifted and eventually rubbed away at the inner tube. The tyre was almost new so I wanted to somehow keep it going a bit longer. It's done another 900-ish miles with no problems yet.

Thanks Auntie, I think I`ll also stick a patch on the inside as well. With the conditions around here I`m even thinking of one of those resistant rings inside the tyre. I won`t be beaten even if I have to run on solid tyres:biggrin:

chap

Veteran
Old Timer, I have read a few of your posts and you really do not seem to be having the best of luck. I hope things work out for you.

shippers

I got a flat on either my first or second time out with the legendary M+'s on. Big chunk of glass really well hidden in the tread.
This was after a history of real problems with punctures going back over about 4 months. I feel like I'm in AA- counting the miles since my last unscheduled defltation moment.

96, since you ask.

potsy

Rambler
shippers said:
I got a flat on either my first or second time out with the legendary M+'s on. Big chunk of glass really well hidden in the tread.
This was after a history of real problems with punctures going back over about 4 months. I feel like I'm in AA- counting the miles since my last unscheduled defltation moment.

96, since you ask.
shippers and old timer are giving the M+ a bad name:biggrin:
I liked the tyres much better when no one was getting any incidents:sad:

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
chap said:
Old Timer, I have read a few of your posts and you really do not seem to be having the best of luck. I hope things work out for you.

Thanks Chap

To be honest I`m sort of retired and my wife says that if I didn`t have anything to worry about or solve I would just vegetate and fade away:laugh:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
chap said:

I think OT suffers a little from an inability to resist tinkering with things, I do to. Most of the time it's fine, sometimes it results in a costly error, but we always learn something.

Though the M+ puncture was just sheer bad luck, it's a heck of a tear in the tyre. I have nothing approaching that in any of my bike tyres, in actual fact even my kids bikes don't have any damage like that.

Top Bottom