Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I bought a Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyre to fit on my rear wheel to help prevent visitations from the p fairy. I now notice that it’s ‘ebike ready’. Does anyone know what that means, other than their marketing department has been a bit over active?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Heavier duty / stronger (And heavier) I’m guessing. More grip needed on a E-bike perhaps ? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
As said in the article linked above - the normal legal UK ebikes don't really need a different tyre
The extra weight on an ebike - from the motor and battery - is really not that much compared to the possible weight differences between different riders
(I will not be mistaken for and Yates twin any time soon!!!)
SO that is not a concern

and as the legal motor cut off is 15.5. mph then , although the average speed of an ebike is probebly slightly higher than the rider would normally do - it is way lower than the bike might be doing witha decent tail wind or on a long downhill.
I base this on the fact that I an not really fit (at all!) and yet at times I cycle my legal ebike at 18-19 mph for several miles if the wind is right - and obviously a fit healthy and younger rider (and some older!) will be able to keep up with my ebike and me with no problems
Hence the speed ability of the bike has to be the same as for non ebikes

However, go up the scale a bit and you quickly get to the sort of things you sometime see delivery drivers (and others) use with suspiciously large hob motors and a suspiciously lack of pedalling at suspiciously high speeds for a bike!!
On those I would suspect that the tyre might need a better tyre compound to be able to cope with consistent higher speeds - and, more importantly, frequent stopping from that speed and with that extra weight!

So - in my opinion - ebike ready is probably a marketing thing mostly and someone with a legal ebike doesn;t need a one. But if it does say than then it is not something that should put you off - just check out the normal things like tyre weight, rolling resistance and puncture protection

All uphill

Still rolling along
They are excellent tyres and perhaps done for those who think different bikes have to have different tyres or parts.

@Oldhippy I agree with you on most things, but not on this; marathon+ do a couple of things exceptionally well ( durability and p*unctuous protection) but at too high a cost, imo. Heavy, energy sappy and harsh.

I'm happy to disagree with you on this!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
@All uphill my Genesis is already heavy and I have never given weight any thought honestly. 🙂

I've used "E-bike ready" M+ tyres for several years and didn't think about it. As others have said it's probably to make sure people with E-bikes buy them; apart from anything else my "E-bike ready" M+ tyres have the ribbed section for a bottle dynamo.

@Oldhippy I agree with you on most things, but not on this; marathon+ do a couple of things exceptionally well ( durability and p*unctuous protection) but at too high a cost, imo. Heavy, energy sappy and harsh.

I'm happy to disagree with you on this!

I've never had that feeling, but then I've never used light racing type tyres so I don't have anything to compare them with; like @Oldhippy my bikes tend to be somewhere between "heavy" and "Is that a tank?" so weight has never been that much of a consideration.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've never had that feeling, but then I've never used light racing type tyres so I don't have anything to compare them with; like @Oldhippy my bikes tend to be somewhere between "heavy" and "Is that a tank?" so weight has never been that much of a consideration.

Maybe it was a mistake to try relatively light Schwalbe One tyres on my heavy steel Spa; they wore out quickly but the lower rotating mass and increased comfort seduced me entirely.

Top Bottom