First ride of the year tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
On the roadbike anyway. Have already done a bit of gentle riding around on the hybrid. I fancy starting the long rides early this year to build a good base of fitness for my first 100km attempt.

Any kind folk care to share your clothing suggestions or layering tips when it is 4 degrees and mostly cloudy? I will probably only be out for an hour first one out. Being a fine weather cyclist I rarely head out for rides until it hits 8 or 9 degrees and sunny.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
At 4 degrees it's a lightweight long sleeved jersey and windproof jacket, you soon warm up. Keep hands and feet warm, that's the trick.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have 1100km ridden outside this year. Its cold. It may be sunny, but its cold. The slightest breeze blows thriugh your bones and your hands freeze.

Get wrapped up, you can always slow down and take it easy. You can have not enough clothes and speed upto keep warm and start getting damp. You will freeze.

Its always a tricks balance.

OP
OP
RoadRider400

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Thanks everybody. I went on the side of more as I prefer too hot over too cold and I am not the fastest. Three layers on the top including a base layer, T shirt and fleece then two pairs of lycra on the lower. Then thermal gloves, socks, extra socks and a thick buff.

I was a little chilly on the face for 10 minutes but after that it was just right. The main thing to report is that breathing is a lot more pleasant in the warmer months but I enjoyed being out there all the same. Probably heading out again tomorrow morning as I will not get another chance for a couple of weeks.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Being a fine weather cyclist I rarely head out for rides until it hits 8 or 9 degrees and sunny.

Me too! Looking forward to my 2 rides this year; probably towards the end of June. If I'm lucky :smile:.

Top Bottom