First ride on a Foffa NuVinci Black

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The bike has two interesting technologies, but the weakness of both - according to some - is a little extra drag.

NuVinci talk a lot about ebikes on their website, I suspect because the extra drag of the hub is one of the reasons it hasn't caught on on push bikes.

i've ridden a couple of NuVinci ebikes, one with the clever auto shifting.

Both rides were not long enough to work out if I liked the constantly variable transmission or not, but I did detect a tiny bit of extra drag.

One of those ebikes also had a belt drive.

The design of the belt is a compromise, the teeth need to be deep enough to grip the sprockets, but make them too deep and there is stiction as the belt un-meshes, which it is doing all the time at the bottom of the front ring and at the top of the rear sprocket.

Gates, who make the belt, will tell you there's no extra friction over a chain, but some cyclists will tell you otherwise.

I suspect the combination of belt and hub on the OP's bike means it does have a tiny bit more drag than an identicial bike with chain and derailers would have.

http://nuvincicycling.com/en/products/harmony.html

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
The bike has two interesting technologies, but the weakness of both - according to some - is a little extra drag.

I suspect the combination of belt and hub on the OP's bike means it does have a tiny bit more drag than an identicial bike with chain and derailers would have.

I was well aware of this on both counts before I purchased. The interesting thing about the marketing of both products was the way they dismiss the drag:
  • NuVinci says that you make up for the extra drag by being able to go between gears.
  • Gates says that a brand new clean chain is lower drag, yes, but who has a brand new, clean chain?
Now, I'm not sure if I'm convinced by either argument...

I was looking at replacing chains every 3 months since I do about 16 miles/day in all weathers with 50kg of trailer and child. Cogs, probably every 9 months. Because of that commute, I was looking for:
  • Steel frame
  • Belt drive
  • Disc brakes
I couldn't find any other bikes that ticked those boxes without coming in at well over £1500. I even asked a LBS about building one up for me. It would have been £1900 with Alfine 8, which is surprising since they offer a Rohloff version for £2299...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I was well aware of this on both counts before I purchased. The interesting thing about the marketing of both products was the way they dismiss the drag:
  • NuVinci says that you make up for the extra drag by being able to go between gears.
  • Gates says that a brand new clean chain is lower drag, yes, but who has a brand new, clean chain?
Now, I'm not sure if I'm convinced by either argument...

I was looking at replacing chains every 3 months since I do about 16 miles/day in all weathers with 50kg of trailer and child. Cogs, probably every 9 months. Because of that commute, I was looking for:
  • Steel frame
  • Belt drive
  • Disc brakes
I couldn't find any other bikes that ticked those boxes without coming in at well over £1500. I even asked a LBS about building one up for me. It would have been £1900 with Alfine 8, which is surprising since they offer a Rohloff version for £2299...
It's a clever spec for the target use at a keen price I guess the built to order bit speaks volumes about the target market and how conservative we are as British cyclists.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
What spec would a dynohub need to have to meet your needs though?
Probably about 20W. That's sufficiently high that I don't think I'd want to ride with it.

swansonj

Guru
No, it is never that even handed. The wind resistance takes back more on the downhill than you put in on the climb. ...

...and just to spell it out, the reason @User is right is that wind resistance is non-linear with speed.

If wind resistance were proportional to speed (linear) you would indeed gain as much from reduced wind resistance at lower speeds up hills as you lost fromhigher speed downhill.

But wind resistance is proportional to the square of speed (and power dissipated against the wind therefore proportional to the cube of speed). So you loose a lot more pushing the wind at the higher speed downhill than you save uphill.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
@annirak Let's have some pictures! :smile:

Photos!

The little hill as a "gear" indicator is clever.
2017-12-23_17-21-08.jpg 2017-12-23_17-20-47.jpg

The "chain guard" doesn't quite cover the front of the belt. I'm considering trying to adjust it.
2017-12-23_17-20-30.jpg

Drive side...
2017-12-23_17-20-24.jpg

Mounting the front mudguard was interesting, due to the disc brake. SKS suggests using spacers (shipped with the mudguards) to space the front mounts out from the disc brake. I needed a 30mm bolt, but the SKS Longboards only came with a 25mm bolt, so I had to hit up the LBS for another one. They only had a 35mm bolt, so I ended up using a few more spacers, but I'm reasonably happy with the result.
2017-12-23_17-19-35.jpg

The trailer hitch mounts to a special axle nut. It took some research, but one of the Thule adaptor nuts for SRAM hubs matches the Nuvinci hub. I'm glad I have a torque wrench. The fixing torque for this nut is so high that I wouldn't have believed that it was on that tight.
2017-12-23_17-19-30.jpg

Non-drive side
2017-12-23_17-19-21.jpg 2017-12-23_17-19-16.jpg

Top Bottom