First road bike help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aberal

Veteran
You will probably be like most of us, myself included, that when you start cycling you will baulk a little at buying all the proper cycling clothes. A. Because of the cost and B. Because you are scared you look naff. But the right clothes make a huge difference to your enjoyment of cycling, especially on a road bike. You're getting the helmet, so I would suggest that you buy the rest of the clothes, in this order of importance:

1. Shorts/longs X2 with chamois insert. Adds to your comfort hugely. You need two if you end up going out a lot because you shouldn't wear them more than once without washing them, even on short trips.
2. Mitts - likewise. Cushions your hands on the bike, has towelling to wipe the sweaty brow/nose and protects your hands if you fall.
3. Shades. They're not to look cool, they're eye protection. Nothing worse than a bug hitting your eye when you're hurtling downhill at 30mph. Also stops your eyes tearing up on downhills. Also look cool.
4. Shoes. SPD types for clipless pedals. Stiff soles make for better pedalling. Normal trainers are too soft and your feet will likely chaff/hurt. SPD pedals have probably been the best invention for the bike in the last 3-40 years.
5. Wind or waterproof top. With back pockets.
6. Normal cycling top, with back pockets for the sunny days.

OP
OP
J

jamman

urgh :angry:
I'm facing one of the most annoying and embarassing problems with my new bike
I can't for the life of me get my other foot into the strap of the pedal so I can start moving.
Any tips other than just keep trying?

UPDATE:
been trying for over an hour
got into other pedal once, fell over and grazed knee (no biggie, just stings) and middle finger in right hand aches like hell from using my hands to break my fall.

only got into both pedals one more time and didn't fall
had to stop as pain in middle finger made it horrible to try and brake.

aberal

Veteran
You get the first foot into the pedal, start moving and once you've got a bit of momentum, flip the other pedal over with your foot and slip it in. You have to be moving to avoid falling over.

OP
OP
J

jamman

You get the first foot into the pedal, start moving and once you've got a bit of momentum, flip the other pedal over with your foot and slip it in. You have to be moving to avoid falling over.

got it sorted now
:biggrin:

feel so silly with how much trouble it was giving me :rolleyes:

anyway first little proper ride on it and I can really feel a massive difference between my old MTB and this new bike.
can't wait to start piling up the miles :becool:

boselecta

Grats on your new bike hope it's going well !! What bike did u get? Any pics? Im so jelous as I've gotta wait till May until I can make the change from MTB to Road bike I've never had a road bike before so I'm really looking forward to it : )

OP
OP
J

jamman

Grats on your new bike hope it's going well !! What bike did u get? Any pics? Im so jelous as I've gotta wait till May until I can make the change from MTB to Road bike I've never had a road bike before so I'm really looking forward to it : )

Thanks, I lucked out as my dad's cycle to work scheme was almost at the closing date when I really got into cycling. It's a revolution continental 11.
It's definitely worth the upgrade for going on those roads. The amount of resistance you pedal compared to your speed is much nicer on a road bike.
But keep sticking with the MTB in the meantime, you're legs will be much stronger and really ready for nice speeds on a road bike.

Here's a picture of it sat in my garage =)

My new road bike

OP
OP
J

jamman

Just did first long ride, longest ever done (as a nooby :tongue:)
5 miles there, quick drink and 5 miles back

Feeling great right now! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Top Bottom