First road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomson

Hi all. Quite new to cycling and really enjoying it. Have a Sirrus comp 2013.hybrid. I am looking to have a road bike as well in the future. Been looking at the boardman bikes really like the look and price off the comp and road bikes. Are these a entry level road bike? Does anybody have one they could share there thoughts on?
Would quite like a light bike aswell. 9-10kgs.
Is there any other make that I should be looking at? Probly wouldn't want to spend more than 500 as a budget.

Any help
Cheers.

vickster

Legendary Member
Boardman are good value. A £500 roadbike will be entry level if new. Should get Sora and a carbon fork

Go try a few out. Where are you based?
When you say in the future....how long?

Look at Decathlon too

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520-road-bike-sora-id_8377757.html

Last edited:
yep - Decathlon or a used Giant Defy

I've owned a couple of those low end decathlon bikes, you can't fault them for the money. I also have a used defy which I have slowly upgraded - cost £300 supposedly 'used' - but wasn't much used when I got it.

Levo-Lon

Guru

OP
OP
T

Thomson

Thank for the replies folks.
Few questions
What is sora?
I think my mind is made up on a boardman road comp after looking at a few options.
Just started cycling a few months ago so still learning Everything.
Can't find the road comp on offer at the minute tho?
Maybe In a few months. Maybe c2w. Is there a time to buy before the new models are realeased?
My 2013 Sirrus comp is quite light 10.6kgs I read online. But would like something around the 9 for fun days. And the Sirrus for work and back.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thank for the replies folks.
Few questions
What is sora?
I think my mind is made up on a boardman road comp after looking at a few options.
Just started cycling a few months ago so still learning Everything.
Can't find the road comp on offer at the minute tho?
Maybe In a few months. Maybe c2w. Is there a time to buy before the new models are realeased?
My 2013 Sirrus comp is quite light 10.6kgs I read online. But would like something around the 9 for fun days. And the Sirrus for work and back.
Boardman bikes are cracking , although im biased :smile:
Sora is the name of the 9 speed groupset from shimano
claris = 8 speed
sora= 9
tiagra= 10
105/ultegra/ dura ace =11
is the road comp the one with disc brakes?

OP
OP
T

Thomson

Aww ok. Thanks.
What do you think off your boardman?
Is it your first road bike?
Yeah they look nice and seem to be quite light.

road comp has discs yes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Nothing wrong with wanting a road bike - they are a different beast compared to a hybrid.

But I wouldn't focus too much on weight, saving a kilo over your hybrid will make very little difference.

Of more importance is what style of road bike you want.

Something racy on which typically the saddle would be quite a bit higher than the handlebars.

Or something more relaxed on which the bars would be close to the same height as the saddle.

Only you can decide that, but as you are used to an upright riding position of a hybrid, a racy road bike would be a big change.

Tangoup51

Aww ok. Thanks.
What do you think off your boardman?
Is it your first road bike?
Yeah they look nice and seem to be quite light.

road comp has discs yes.

My first road bike was a cheap carrera zelos, then I upgraded to a boardman cyclocross bike (basically a road bike with disc brakes) and it has Outstanding value for money and reliability. Very simple, easy and sharp. Looks all complicated and fancy but it's all basic and functional.

OP
OP
T

Thomson

Something relaxed. Not a out and and out racer. More a fast road bike. I am finding myself with the Sirrus using the bar ends more and prefer my hands that way. it's quite upright but seem to be getting lower and lower. Which I like. I don't think I would ever have the seat much higher than the bars. More level I think.

Top Bottom