First road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Something relaxed. Not a out and and out racer. More a fast road bike. I am finding myself with the Sirrus using the bar ends more and prefer my hands that way. it's quite upright but seem to be getting lower and lower. Which I like. I don't think I would ever have the seat much higher than the bars. More level I think.

You know what you want, which is good.

Others on here will be able to tell you which Boardman bikes might suit, but you really need to at least sit on one to set your saddle height and judge from there.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Aww ok. Thanks.
What do you think off your boardman?
Is it your first road bike?
Yeah they look nice and seem to be quite light.

road comp has discs yes.
I have a 2011 road comp , now turned into my summer commuter and a 2016 , new in 2017 but i wanted the 2016 model as i did not want another white bike.
I have dont many club rides and a few sportives on the old bike and i still like to ride it , best bang for the buck i could get on C2W as our company uses halfords so although i could get other brands the boardman offered the best all-round spec.
super-commuter-jpg.jpg

team-carbon-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
T

Thomson

The white bikes lovely. If you ever sell it let me know :-).

Have you felt you needed to upgrade anything on these bikes?
Did you buy both bikes new?
What kind off commuting miles do you do?

cyberknight

The white bikes lovely. If you ever sell it let me know :-).

Have you felt you needed to upgrade anything on these bikes?
Did you buy both bikes new?
What kind off commuting miles do you do?
Both new yes :smile: , they are small frames so unless your tidgy like me they are liable to be too small, 5 foot 7 " unless i stand on tip toes :smile:
Commuting 9.5 miles each way , currently using my drop bar mtb conversion as its better suited to the poor road conditions atm and the tyres soak up unexpected pot holes/ branches etc in the dark .Weighs a ton mind but roll on nicer weather....
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/mtb-drop-bar-conversion.197717/
Both bikes never "needed" any upgrades, fitted lighter wheels but in reality im not any faster but they do accelerate quicker .The stock mavic cxp 22 wheels are pretty good , not light but bombproof .Old bike has a deda stem and seatpost just for bling and the new wheels off the new bike .
I did changed the stock saddle on the team carbon for another boardman branded saddle that is narrower but thats down to preference .And a longer stem too but thats down to bike fit and preference again .

If i had been in the market to buy a road bike outright and not C2W ( mrs ck wouldn't allow any other way ) i would have been tempted by the decathlon bikes as they do offer good spec for the cash but they dont take halfords vouchers.Im still a baordman fan so try before you buy .
Do you want discs particularly ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Thomson

Dam. Am quite tall six foot two. So need a large frame.
Do you commute by bike everyday?
Mine is only 2.9 miles. Seems too short sometimes only been doin it a few months tho.
Seems a great bike.
I understand why some people have two bikes now.

cyberknight

Dam. Am quite tall six foot two. So need a large frame.
Do you commute by bike everyday?
Mine is only 2.9 miles. Seems too short sometimes only been doin it a few months tho.
Seems a great bike.
I understand why some people have two bikes now.
Most days , on night shift i dont do fridays as we finish at 3am, early start for the weekend .Unless its really bad i do ride most days to work.I am not adverse to asking for a lift from a work mate when it was like a skating rink with frozen snow though before x mas :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Thank for the replies folks.
I think my mind is made up on a boardman road comp after looking at a few options.
Can't find the road comp on offer at the minute tho?
Maybe In a few months. Maybe c2w. Is there a time to buy before the new models are realeased?

The Road Comp is on offer at Halfords and at Cycle Republic for £630 (although it has been cheaper fairly recently - if you're not in a rush to buy it regularly pops up at well under £600)
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-road-comp-bike-51-5-53-55-5-57-5cm-frames

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-comp-mens-road-bike-2017.html
(Cycle Republic is owned by Halfords)

If you join British Cycling (£34, I think), you get 10% off at Halfords / Cycle Republic.
Check first though that this would apply to a reduced bike as they've changed the rules slightly in the last couple of months and there seems to be different interpretations of how this is now applied at different shops...:wacko:

My first road bike was a Road Comp, but the 2015 model so without disc brakes.
I found it to be a great bike and I enjoyed road cycling so much that I've since bought another two road bikes, including a Boardman Pro Carbon :okay:

OP
OP
T

Thomson

Good few upgrades to the bike then cyberknight. How did you find the c2w? A workmate done it on a 1k bike and had to end up making a big last payment so the bike was his. He ended up paying 1220 in total. That's handy being able to get a lift Very helpful. I cycled with all the ice. I just sold my car so had too.
Sorry am near Edinburgh. Looked at eBay. Hard to tell from a photo condition off bike. Etc.So to buy new or second hand?

Biggs I saw that bike it looks perfect. Total miles away from me tho.
Dave thank you. Probs a bit too much for me. And not too fussed about discs. How did you find the 2015 model? Have you pictures off your Boardmens?

Is there a show me you pictures off your boardmens on the photo gallery section? I can't find it.

Thank you all

cyberknight

Good few upgrades to the bike then cyberknight. How did you find the c2w? A workmate done it on a 1k bike and had to end up making a big last payment so the bike was his. He ended up paying 1220 in total. That's handy being able to get a lift Very helpful. I cycled with all the ice. I just sold my car so had too.
Sorry am near Edinburgh. Looked at eBay. Hard to tell from a photo condition off bike. Etc.So to buy new or second hand?

Biggs I saw that bike it looks perfect. Total miles away from me tho.
Dave thank you. Probs a bit too much for me. And not too fussed about discs. How did you find the 2015 model? Have you pictures off your Boardmens?

Is there a show me you pictures off your boardmens on the photo gallery section? I can't find it.

Thank you all
My company only charges a nominal fee , the rest is classed as a benefit in kind .
Assuming you dont get a discount i dont see how your mate overpaid 1k = 12x£56.67
total salary sacrifice £680.00+ final valuation payment of 25 % = £250 = £930 , and thats for a lower tax payer, higher tax payers get more of a discount .

OP
OP
T

Thomson

So bought the cycling plus magazine and the Boardmans road sport got a really bad review.
It came last out off six bikes for £500.
I have been looking at giant road bikes. Has anybody seen the YouTube blogger mark frost bike? I like the look off his giant defy bike. Can't find out any more details on it tho.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
So bought the cycling plus magazine and the Boardmans road sport got a really bad review.
It came last out off six bikes for £500.
I have been looking at giant road bikes. Has anybody seen the YouTube blogger mark frost bike? I like the look off his giant defy bike. Can't find out any more details on it tho.

You cant beat walking into a bike shop and actually trying one yourself

vickster

Legendary Member
As above, go try them out and ignore reviewers. What did they say about the Boardman

If you like a particular bike, post a picture of it

Top Bottom