First road rash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Had my first road contact this morning on the way in. Diesel/petrol spillage on the corner between Heston Road and Jersey Parade. Felt bike slipping from under me, managed to unclip as I went down. Got about a 3 inch diamater road rash on my left knee, numerous layers on my right calf, and bruised knuckles. My new gloves are also damaged on the palms (rather them than me) What was most annoying was the numerous motorists, pedestians and one cyclist on a Trek Madone who didn't even offer to help or see if I was ok.

I have cleaned the wounds as best as I can (bit of a wimp), and applied bandages. Is this the best method?

Also any cyclists using the great west road, there are 3 consecutive bus shelters been smashed from Osterley onwards so watch out for all the broken glass in the cycle path.

It's a good while since I had potential scabbyitis due to an off on the bike (touching wood here :thumbsup:), but if it's not likely to get dirt in I leave it open (it dries up quicker). I sometimes use Germolene 'new skin' (stings a bit) if it's not too big an area. I find slightly diluted TCP is good if you're not sure that everything is clean. At least you can look forward to a good scab picking session :thumbsup:.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ouch!

Hope the confidence is OK...as for Trek Madone pilot...Tsch:sad:.

Clean the wound and unless weeping leave it open to the elements, it will dry-out quicker that way and when dry less likely to get infected.

Keith Oates

Janner
Not nice, yorkshiregoth, but at least you don't seem to badly hurt. As others have said make sure it's clean, can be a bit painful doing that though, and then leave it open but make sure not to get any more dirt inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xroads

As others have said, best left to air. But this can be difficult in an office environment where you have to wear trousers. In the past I have put on a vented plaster (2 sticky strip with vented area in the middle). Stops the wound binding with your work wear, and change it daily. Might help shaving around the wound.
Shame on the Madone rider!

Nasty Yorkshiregoth. I hope you heal fast. Console yourself by watching me do almost exactly the same thing...

ouch!:thumbsup:

Tynan

Veteran
the passing rider might have judged it as a bit of a scrape and not needing any assistance (it wasn't me btw)

came off once hard onto my palms, oil too as it happens) and skinned them both completely and drove all sorts of grit and gravel deep in, utter pain in the arse if not agony for weeks, never ever ridden without gloves since and I go blue in the face telling others to waer gloves, wouldn't that to happen to anyone, the scabs keep breaking and digging inwards into your palms, tru gettign plasters/dressing to stick to the palms of your hands

Buy the Hollentour/Hell on Wheels DVD and watch Erik Zabel taking his nailbrush into the shower to clean-out the gravel from his roadrash...

It's a classic set of injuries - with me it was right side of body: thigh, knee, elbow and fingers. Thigh has scarred, knee has too (probably should have been stitched/glued according to Mrs B, the first-aider).

Get well soon!

Top Bottom