First self driving (reported) fatality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
[QUOTE 5190114, member: 9609"]A lot less than if all the cars in the world were autonomous, autonomous seem to be killing pedestrians at a rate 220x greater than human drivers.

I certainly don't want to be sharing the roads with these things, the project needs shelved for a decade.[/QUOTE]

Over the next decade autonomous driving will , most likely, advance greatly with every improvement patched into all the systems. Meanwhile will all drivers be doing the same?

Alternatively we can shelve it for a decade which will do .... nothing

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
[QUOTE 5190191, member: 9609"]Meanwhile can I request they don't use any of the roads I cycle on. Yes humans are just human and do make mistakes, but that was one serious howler from the robot car, utterly clueless, probably the most basic and fundamental requirement in not crashing into things directly infront and it failed miserably.

another decade may give time for the technology to get its self more up to speed.[/QUOTE]
Maybe we can find out what went wrong first before we decide to shelve something that could save a lot of lives on our roads for a decade.

Inertia

[QUOTE 5190240, member: 9609"]I have been a big fan of the autonomous vehicles up until this accident, like many I feel eventually it will make the roads safer - but this accident was such a fundamental failure that I now think we must be many many years away, this was not even a remotely complex situation, big wide open road, little traffic, low speed, obvious and slow moving pedestrian moving across in front and it failed big time. The thing is an utter disaster and needs scrapped, you don't get a second chance with this sort of failure.[/QUOTE]
Clearly something went wrong and we need to find out what and try and fix it. What makes you think that we need to shelve it for 10 years?

Inertia

What went wrong is using public roads and peoples lives as a test track.
I think it will have to be tested on public roads eventually. Possibly it is too early and it feels like they have been quite lax on safety. It looked like the driver definitely wasnt on the ball and trusted the car more than he should.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A spokesperson at the Geneva Motor Show has the solution:whistle:.
https://www.bikebiz.com/news/bike-beacons

Shockingly that's supposedly from a cycling industry person. Cars are dangerous so cyclists, and presumably pedestrians should carry beacons to communicate with the automated cars. Wtaf?

gaijintendo

Veteran
A lot of cars are rolling out with Automatic Braking Systems. I believe Volvo market the fact they can spot bicycles.

The idea behind them is x% of accidents are rear-endings, so let's try and prevent those...

If you think sentencing is lenient now... just wait until drivers point their fingers at the car. Interesting times.

Uber, from everything I have read, seems to be a bit of a shambles of a tech firm. I would not be too quick to dismiss any thoughts of negligence.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Maybe we can find out what went wrong first before we decide to shelve something that could save a lot of lives on our roads for a decade.
Maybe during that decade we can test the code in a test environment before shipping it to production? This is basic software engineering - facebook-style "move fast and break things" is really not appropriate when the fast-moving object is a 1.5 tonne car and the "things" are actually people

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If they must be tested in urban environments then they should be restricted to a maximum speed of 20mph, which gives a survival rate seven times better than being hit at 30. In addition, in any collision the driver should be held jointly and severally liable for any harm caused through failure of the vehicle's systems to react correctly, as well as criminally liable.

Top Bottom