First Serious Off in Over 40 Years.... and it Hurts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBB

Veteran
Sorry to hear about this, it all happens so fast. get well soon.

Not much sympathy at home? Yep that sounds like my missus!

I had planned a big ride today but cut it short and kept to the main roads due to the conditions. I've come off before due to ice and i decided that i quite like my skin and don't like leaving it on the road.

I know you weren't the only one who came off today though. A fellow CC'er also came a cropper but is okay.

Hope both yourself and your bike turn out okay.

Ps, the other half is never sympathetic, especially if they already warned you that you might come off in those conditions. So annoying when you get a lecture on return too!!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Goodness! Hope you recover quickly, also good that the bike is fine :smile:
It was quite icy this evening as I rode home, I will use the bike with studded tyres tomorrow for the commute.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Wishing you a quick recovery !
Planned to do my 1st club run of the year today and the roads look dicey with the temperature not getting above freezing till this afternoon so i decided to call it off as i went out and the roads were dicey .
Last year 2 fell off and mashed their rear mech hangers, i have hit the deck before now commuting so i might go out later if it clears up a bit.

Think it might be a sign...Wife just said to me that I should drive in to work this morning. I said that the frost wasn't going to stop me getting out...then I thought I'd just check CC before I leave. Found this and now looking at the state of the road outside, I'm going to learn from your unfortunate accident and heed her advice (for once!).
GWS

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Thanks for all the good wishes. I woke up with a few more aches and pains but nothing serious. I wasn't up to riding so got the bike up on the stand and gave it a good clean and a careful check. The left hand brake leaver and housing is scratched, as is the pedal and rear skewer. So nothing too bad as only the brake lever is not a consumable.

Despite having all the cold weather gear this year, I will wait for things to warm up a tad before going out again, once bitten and all that. It is really annoying as the we have crisp and clear weather which makes a nice change from all the wind and rain.

Thanks for all the good wishes. I woke up with a few more aches and pains but nothing serious. I wasn't up to riding so got the bike up on the stand and gave it a good clean and a careful check. The left hand brake leaver and housing is scratched, as is the pedal and rear skewer. So nothing too bad as only the brake lever is not a consumable.

Despite having all the cold weather gear this year, I will wait for things to warm up a tad before going out again, once bitten and all that. It is really annoying as the we have crisp and clear weather which makes a nice change from all the wind and rain.
Get back out there ASAP. Don't let that one incident become a scar. :thumbsup:

MattMM

I had my first off as well in the Glasgow area on Saturday due to black ice on the un gritted side road where I live. Despite some soreness, bruising and slight whiplash due to my helmeted head contacting the road, managed to force myself to get out today mid morning when conditions were a lot better. Was a bit lairy of wet cambered surfaces owing to flashbacks, however as other s have said, the only way to conquer it is to get out there. Good luck with the recovery...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Matt, I was on Glendore Street just after coming out of the tunnel; I also got the whiplash effect but only felt it the next day. I haven't ridden yet because my thigh is still giving me grief, instead I'm walking every day to stretch it; plus some yoga stuff under sufferance. I aim to be back riding by Wednesday.

Top Bottom