First spill today - ouch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrvandango

Regular
So, I knew it would happen in eventually, but this morning I had my first 'off' from a bike since I was a kid.

I'd been getting a faint tick tick tick for a few miles or so, a quick peek revealed little so I continued on thinking I could give it a more thorough going over later.
Fast forward to a sharp left hander where the cycle path has a semi chicane in it and at just under 20mph the front wheel suddenly disappears from under me, the bars now useless in my hands and pointing in the opposite direction to the wheel, leaving me very quickly sliding down the tarmac on my left side.
I pick the bike up and do what any man would do after such an incident :

a) check to see if anybody had seen
b) make sure the bike was ok
c) check for injuries

Continued walking to work and noticed there was a drawing pin stuck in the front tyre! Clearly here was the source of the ticking. It seems that after losing a bit of pressure I got what I assume to be an instant pinch flat under the pressure of the hard turn and there could only be one outcome from there.
I got off very lightly - much skin missing from hip and calf, sore left wrist and bizarrely a spotted bruise/blemish on my right hip and I can't raise my right arm sideways above shoulder height. I can't fathom how I got those last two.

The hard lesson I learned is not to ignore strange noises from my bike. Ever!

Right arm not going above shoulder could at worst be a dislocation/relocation with the joint actually relocating during the fall, x-ray will diagnose dislocation as a bony spur pings off as a telltale (if no telltale then you came very close and 'just' have stretch injuries) either hurts like hell but a bit of physio will fix one and a bit more of physio the other... DAMHIKT

Edited for spelling.

OP
OP
mrvandango

mrvandango

Regular
I don't think it's as serious as that! Feels like it's all in the muscle, so stretch injury seems most likely.

Just had to google damhikt!

Globalti

Legendary Member
If it hasn't improved within a few days go and see a Dr. A cycling buddy of mine had a similar injury and it turned out he had wrecked his shoulder and needed surgery to ut everything back together,

OP
OP
mrvandango

mrvandango

Regular
Thanks for the heads up, I will pay attention to it, it's not agony, just a bit sore and restricted. I hope your buddy is back to normal, sounds nasty.

surfdude

Veteran
i had a fall and only pain was shoulder . took 3 weeks before i could lift it . they thought it had nearly popped out but didn't make it all the way out . very painful . hope you get better soon and not put off by it .

OP
OP
mrvandango

mrvandango

Regular
Thanks guys! I have to say the ride home yesterday evening was taken very gingerly indeed, as was the ride to work this morning! However, I did spend my lunchtime in the lbs getting a quote for a Cube Peloton on ctw, so not put off in the slightest bit!
I can lift the shoulder a little higher today, so getting better, but I've developed aches and pains everywhere else! It was a struggle to get out of bed this morning lol I guess hitting the deck sends quite a shock through the entire body :wacko:

Top Bottom