First sub-five hour 100km audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
well done, Vernon!

Thank you.

I just might come down for a FNRttC. The September Brighton ride look like the best bet even though I'll be still gravitationally challenged by the likes of Ditchling Beacon though I understand that it's no disgrace to use 24" gearing.

Camrider

I too should be able to get under the 5 hour mark, but that would mean cutting back on time outs for tea and cake which just not seem right :hungry:

Camrider

I rode the Herts High Five 200k yesterday, not only did it have 3 cafe controls the final control was at a pub. The temptation was high but I managed to resist it :angel:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The time is irrellevant on an AudaX (unless you time out), Its the Cake we want to hear about ^_^

My last 100 was the Silk Run Beans on toast at second control were excellent and chocolate cake in the Garden Center was amazing (and big). Took me 5 hours 50 which is ok for me.(And only one minor navigational error)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes - well done Vernon!
I just might come down for a FNRttC. The September Brighton ride look like the best bet even though I'll be still gravitationally challenged by the likes of Ditchling Beacon though I understand that it's no disgrace to use 24" gearing.
I had that explained to me last year when I tried to calculate what ratio would be required ... :whistle:

(For those who don't already know - 24" = 2 feet = on 2 feet = walking! :thumbsup:)

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
Yes - well done Vernon!

I had that explained to me last year when I tried to calculate what ratio would be required ... :whistle:

(For those who don't already know - 24" = 2 feet = on 2 feet = walking! :thumbsup:)

Julian had to explain that one to me during a FNRttC. I felt a bit of a dafty when she told me :shy:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
It's been a good week for audaxing - got 2 x 100km rides in, both of them averaging 14mph or more for saddle time.
Got a 200km pencilled in for the weekend after next.
Next weekend I'm getting wasted at the Big Session festival.
I am in awe of your fantastic lifestyle. You seem to be living the dream, I mean what more could a man want out of life?
The September Brighton ride look like the best bet even though I'll be still gravitationally challenged by the likes of Ditchling Beacon though I understand that it's no disgrace to use 24" gearing.
Ahem, my bike has a 20inch gear. Ditchling will hold no fears for you. Join us, we will get you up it.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I am in awe of your fantastic lifestyle. You seem to be living the dream, I mean what more could a man want out of life?

Not much more. I've got two non-audaxing weekends before I set off for a three week cycling/drinking tour along the Danube. Got a Chieftains gig tomorrow night. A Stone Roses gig in Manchester in three week's time followed by a weekend tour of some of the majour museums in London with a party of school kids. 1 x 200km audax, 1 x 160km audax and possibly a 100km audax as well as a weekend dry run mini cycle tour for the benefit of the chap that will be accompanying me on my summer cycle tour along the Danube from Passau to Budapest.

Ahem, my bike has a 20inch gear. Ditchling will hold no fears for you. Join us, we will get you up it.

I'm undecided as to which bike to use for a Brighton FNRttC. The Woodrup has a 17'' bottom gear and I suspect that Ditchling in conquerable with that however it has a lower crusing speed because of the deliberately chosen lower gear ratio for the front rear sprocket combo. My Dave Yates and T.Jarvis Flying Gate have taller gearing but are much faster on the flat.

24" i.e. two feet, might be what I resort to as I'm sure that the bottom gears of the aforementions alternatives aren't so accommodating of my diminishing porkiness.

vorsprung

Veteran
This has made me think about how fast or slow I will be doing the 400 next weekend. It's the Avalon Sunrise 400, my own event. I've ridden the route many times but never on the day of the audax event before. I've never got round particularly quick, although it is a potentially easy and fast-ish course.

Top Bottom