First time installing new tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gunja99

Just wanted to post to say done my first tyre swap with "folding" tyres. Strange getting those out of the box and on the rim, but didn't need any levers to get the new ones on. It's that they're flat, very strange. Actually took a while to find the rotation mark on the sidewall (it's only on one side!).

Swapped from some 23mm Bontrager R1s which were on the bike I bought last month and haven't felt totally "comfortable" on, esp round corners to some Conti GP5000 25mm. Not ridden them yet, and know people having "puncture" issues, but see how we get on. Hopefully more comfortable but more importantly I feel more confident on them round corners. I plan on running 110psi, they say 95-125 anyone suggestions on that? They do look nice, and having the little bits of rubber that's left after manufacturing on fresh tyres... :smile:

Nice to do my first bit of changing something on a bike! Need to look at my front derailuer next, watched the ParkTool youtube vid a few times before starting that!

Attachments

• 20200716_233348.jpg
    20200716_233348.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200716_233358.jpg
    20200716_233358.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 11
Good choice! I run 28c 5000s with tubes 80-90 psi for comfier ride and no issues (or punctures) :okay:

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Cheers will stick lower psi. Would have gone 28 but seen that they won't fit me bike. Though does look like room might borrow one to try off a friend at some point. Love that delivery feeling..

Attachments

• IMG-20200716-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20200716-WA0003.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Though I actually left the original tubes in. One was a B-Twin one with no repairs, so must be original 5 year old one!! Neither had repairds tbh Keep those conti tubes for another time.

Cheers will stick lower psi. Would have gone 28 but seen that they won't fit me bike. Though does look like room might borrow one to try off a friend at some point. Love that delivery feeling..
Yes best not to squeeze too wide a tyre in. Made that mistake on wife's older road bike with 32c....brake rub, doh!

vickster

Legendary Member
Watch out for those conti tubes! The cores can fly out. I had one do it the other day. Luckily I was at home with my hand over the valve...and not at the side of the road by a grassy verge (I’ve had that too, and no longer buy Conti tubes!!)

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Watch out for those conti tubes! The cores can fly out. I had one do it the other day. Luckily I was at home with my hand over the valve...and not at the side of the road by a grassy verge (I’ve had that too, and no longer buy Conti tubes!!)
Not put the new tubes in yet, didn't think much point, so they the B'Twin that came with em. So many differing opinions, as was told that conti's the best tubes!

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Really makes little difference other than Conti Cr@p flying cores!
Haha yeah, whilst the tubes working keep em in, just got the 2 tyre, 2 tube bundle with the new tyres, my only spares are 4 x Halfords for £10... (They're in my bottle cage bag for on the road punctures!) And don't fancy flying valves in the eye/arse/whatever ;)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
They do look nice, and having the little bits of rubber that's left after manufacturing on fresh tyres... :smile:
If you are a bit OCD like me you would get a razor or Stanley blade and snick off all those molding hairs. Think of the weight saving and improvement in aero performance :rolleyes:
I normally do but was in a hurry last time I swapped tyres on my commuter bike and haven't done it yet. It bugs me everytime I ride the bike and I am planning to do it soon.....

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

If you are a bit OCD like me you would get a razor or Stanley blade and snick off all those molding hairs. Think of the weight saving and improvement in aero performance :rolleyes:
I normally do but was in a hurry last time I swapped tyres on my commuter bike and haven't done it yet. It bugs me everytime I ride the bike and I am planning to do it soon.....
Hahah, I just assumed they'd go after a few miles right on the main tread. Possibly cut em off when clean next if not (and tbh well on top of cleaning of it, can see my face in the cassette!)

And weight wise, once I've lost another 10kg might think of lighter bike :biggrin: :biggrin: can eat less will make a lot more different ;)

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Re tyre pressures; generally you need slightly lower pressure in front as this carries less weight than the rear tyre
FWIW I use Conti 5000s and run 95psi on front, 105psi on rear. I'm 83kg
About the same weight, cheers nicky, looking forward to first ride on em :smile:

Top Bottom