First time installing new tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

I run 25mm Conti 4000 on a couple of my bikes. I’m about 100kg and pump front and rear up to 100psi but don’t check obsessively so they’re prob 90-95psi most of the time.

I sometimes think about having less pressure in the front tyre but not sure I’d notice and I also don’t want any issues when braking hard and all my weight transfers towards the front. But mainly it’s because 100 front and rear is easy to remember!

Domus

Guru
I have 25mm 5000s on my summer bike, put them on last summer, no issues as yet. I'm 78 Kgs and run 85psi front and 95psi rear. I also use latex tubes so pressure set each ride.
I use one of these.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godeson-Bicycle-Pressure-0-160psi-0-11bar/dp/B01KHJNNK2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2CDIPAZF7DYZX&dchild=1&keywords=presta+valve+pressure+gauge&qid=1595088508&sprefix=presta+valve+pressure+gauge%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-5

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes best not to squeeze too wide a tyre in. Made that mistake on wife's older road bike with 32c....brake rub, doh!
i think im pushing the limit with my superstar wheels, running 25s and they visibly bulge on the rim so not very aero , in fact i have to deflate to get the wheels out.I am considering swapping back to my rs11s as they have a wider rim and i wonder if the extra few hundred grams will be offset by better tyre shape ?

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

i think im pushing the limit with my superstar wheels, running 25s and they visibly bulge on the rim so not very aero , in fact i have to deflate to get the wheels out.I am considering swapping back to my rs11s as they have a wider rim and i wonder if the extra few hundred grams will be offset by better tyre shape ?
I had to deflate to get the fitted 23mm out past the brake pads so 25 even worse!

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Crikey thats tight!
Well new to all this thought normal, my very experienced work colleague who checked it over said he had to deflate a little but didn't seem to think was a problem. The pads are very close to the rims so even with the loosening thing (don't know term) they don't come far enuf for the 23. Tbh not taken the 25 off yet to check and didn't inflate fully till in place

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Apologies, not trying to be smart, but you did the release on the brakes?

A little lever on caliper brakes, taking out the noodle on V brakes.

Just looked at your photos, on picture 2 if you see the little lever on the right hand side, if you push that up it opens the caliper to get the wheel out, remember to close it back up after fitting your wheel back on.
Yes I did see post above (don't know term part).

And don't worry about being smart I'm new and obvious things to you guys may seem alien to me. You all very helpful! Tbh wasn't loosening them to take the wheels out I forgot, it's re engaging them when wheel back I forget more than once, so no... Any advice good advice!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If you are a bit OCD like me you would get a razor or Stanley blade and snick off all those molding hairs. Think of the weight saving and improvement in aero performance :rolleyes:
I normally do but was in a hurry last time I swapped tyres on my commuter bike and haven't done it yet. It bugs me everytime I ride the bike and I am planning to do it soon.....
Well, haircut day finally arrived....
Sat down with a Stanley blade after getting home from work this morning and snicked off all the little rubber strands.

Took nearly an hour to stretch and cut each hair individually but the end result makes it well worth the effort and I weighed the offcuts and it has saved nearly almost 2g so the rotating mass reduction and aero improvement will make me much faster now :whistle:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Sat down with a Stanley blade after getting home from work this morning and snicked off all the little rubber strands.

View attachment 539276

Took nearly an hour to stretch and cut each hair individually but the end result makes it well worth the effort

Now, that's what I call OCD.....:laugh:
I bet I enjoyed my pints in 'spoons today more than you enjoyed trimming your tyres.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Well, haircut day finally arrived....
View attachment 539275

View attachment 539276

Took nearly an hour to stretch and cut each hair individually but the end result makes it well worth the effort and I weighed the offcuts and it has saved nearly almost 2g so the rotating mass reduction and aero improvement will make me much faster now :whistle:
Did you notice much improvement in performance today?:whistle:

Top Bottom