First time mortgage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Someone said up thread that mortgage lenders are factoring in wage and interest @ 5% I just my details in to my lenders website and I got a great deal on a fixed and a decent loan amount at around 3x earnings =, but there is no way I could afford it @ 5% interest rates. I still think there is a ticking time bomb sitting in people who can only afford their mortgage whilst rates are low.

No two ways about it - with rates having been so artificially low for so long there's a hell of a shock not far up the track for a lot of people.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
@oldfatfool

We've just dumped a wodge in here @ 2.15% which is not bad in today's market:

https://uk.virginmoney.com/savings/find/5_year_fixed_rate_cash_e_isa_issue_268/overview/

U

User33236

[QUOTE 4956538, member: 45"]We looked at a brand new duplex a few years ago with a view to buying. The bedrooms were huge. Downstairs there was a toilet, a fairly big hall and then one small lounge/diner with a little kitchen through an archway. They seem to be designing houses backwards.[/QUOTE]
Similar to what we are in process of buying.

Downstairs has a huge hall with 'cloakroom' (aka toilet) and living room with kitchen off. Upstairs have huge landing with two double bedrooms, both with large ensuites, and a very large 'utility room'. Overall its got 40% more space than the three bed property we had down south.

Whilst not everyones cup of tea it will work great for Mrs SG and I with plenty of storage for our fleet of bikes. Plus gives overnight guests their own space

Getting a mortgage has been a PIA due to all the extra checks they insist on doing now that they didn't bother with 15 years ago.

gbb

Legendary Member
My former colleague, young and setting out in life really want s to get on the ladder. He only sees the current low rates as a good thing...which of course they are but he didn't seem to grasp at some stage, they WILL go up and i suggestec he'd better have a contingency plan (spare funds) if they did.

gbb

Legendary Member
As far as I'm aware, the government has just legislated to stop them doing that. My friend's been caught out though. I was amazed that anyone would buy a leasehold house. We had a flat that was leasehold and that was a nightmare to sell. I wouldn't touch one again.

If they have then so much the better...but have they or do they plan to ?...i bought it was something the government was considering.

It's an outrage really, no reason for leasehold on houses other than to screw more cash out of owners. That said, I'm amazed some people didn't ask the most basic question when buying.

Top Bottom