First time mortgage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I mentioned moving further away from work towards cheaper property at some point in this thread. I've been looking at jobs recently and wondered if I could increase my acceptable commute distance (but not my time upper limit) by spending money on an ebike.

Just thought I'd add that to the thread as food for thought.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Every time I have bought a house or flat it has been at the "peak" everyone telling me I am silly buying now and every time over 5-10 years it has gone up significantly. I do live in the SE though and live within daily commuting distance ot London.

Only once been in negative equity, my first home. It is a truly sobering and scary experience.

Studio Flat Bought for 42k went up to 59k then plummeted down to 19k for a fast sale. The latter price was when my wife was pregnant with our first daughter. So I led the way and a did a deal with a now defunct mortgage company and got them to do a Let to Buy deal they were the first offering a Buy To Let mortgage at the time. Hated every moment of being a landlord. Sold it for 59995 4 years later. The actual flat sold in Oct for 225k Ha. That is over a 30 year period I sold it in 2004. Always wish I hadn't sold it but needed the money at the time.

screenman

Legendary Member
From what i can make out a visit to a new build house was done on Saturday and she loved it all nice and shiny and so spacious , so when i said that was because the furniture used in showhomes is of non std size ie small to give that impression i was told not to be silly

No doors on many rooms either.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
No doors on many rooms either.
Very true .

My stepdaughter has ended up buying a terrace house built in the 1890's and knocked most of the downstairs wall's down to make it open planned , did try telling her it wasn't a good idea but you know the youth of today are like

Try finding a new build with a living room and a kitchen dining room, like gold dust! Most are living room diners with a kitchen as that is the new bling!

I also don't understand the three storey houses with kitchen on ground floor, living room in the middle and master in the loft. Do people not use a kitchen for drinks.

screenman

Legendary Member
Try finding a new build with a living room and a kitchen dining room, like gold dust! Most are living room diners with a kitchen as that is the new bling!

I also don't understand the three storey houses with kitchen on ground floor, living room in the middle and master in the loft. Do people not use a kitchen for drinks.

Not if there is a Costa/Starbucks within driving distance.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Someone said up thread that mortgage lenders are factoring in wage and interest @ 5% I just my details in to my lenders website and I got a great deal on a fixed and a decent loan amount at around 3x earnings =, but there is no way I could afford it @ 5% interest rates. I still think there is a ticking time bomb sitting in people who can only afford their mortgage whilst rates are low.

Minimal foot print. Depending where you are building land can cost more than the house.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
[QUOTE 4956538, member: 45"]We looked at a brand new duplex a few years ago with a view to buying. The bedrooms were huge. Downstairs there was a toilet, a fairly big hall and then one small lounge/diner with a little kitchen through an archway. They seem to be designing houses backwards.[/QUOTE]

Modern families, all in own rooms with computers/consoles

Sandra6

Veteran
There is no way on god's green earth I would mortgage myself up, my circumstances dictate that I don't have to. 250 grand is a lot of debt, and in today's money, won't get much ( except where there's nothing much going on ). If my circumstances dictated that I needed the 'security' of a mortgaged property, there's no way I'd go new build. The proportion of these places that are farmed out to 'social housing' effectively means that you end up on a council estate, full of people who are self entitled muppets. That means you are mortgaged up to the hilt, probably stuck next to arsey mc arse face, who doesn't give a crap, and doesn't have to work. Nightmare upon nightmare.

I'm very glad to hear you won't be moving in near me any time soon!

[QUOTE 4790083, member: 45"]No, unless you get the show home. It's basic everything these days and you pay for anything you want changing or adding.

With carpets, they do the "of course you can have them fitted yourself, but you wouldn't be able to get in to fit them until you get the keys, and you'll have the cut the bottom off all of the doors. If you leave it to us it will all be done for you. Kerching!" sell.[/QUOTE]
We bought a "finished" house with carpets, cooker etc all fitted. It was a good few grand cheaper than an "empty" house bought off plan and they threw in a 3% deposit contribution too.
Ok, the carpets are shoddy and the kitchen floor doesn't fit the floor anymore, but, bargain!!

I gather there's a new phenomenon nowadays with new builds, leasehold on houses as opposed to what used to be the normal, freeholds. I read some are being hit with massive hikes in their leasehold as time goes on basically it's a moneymaking exercise at the expense of the homeowner so something else to consider when buying new builds.
As far as I'm aware, the government has just legislated to stop them doing that. My friend's been caught out though. I was amazed that anyone would buy a leasehold house. We had a flat that was leasehold and that was a nightmare to sell. I wouldn't touch one again.

I'm not sure where you are looking, but round here all the new builds have kitchen diners and separate living rooms.

Reactions: gbb
I'm not sure where you are looking, but round here all the new buildshave kitchen diners and separate living rooms

We are only an hour or so down the road in Teesside, it is truly bonkers. We are very lucky to live in the house we have. It's a great plot and if anything likely to go up in value.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Very true .

My stepdaughter has ended up buying a terrace house built in the 1890's and knocked most of the downstairs wall's down to make it open planned , did try telling her it wasn't a good idea but you know the youth of today are like

Well we spent a couple of hours this afternoon doing some painting , still got a lot to do considering she wants to be in next week end .

Top Bottom