First Time on Road Bike This Year And Almost A Great Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
Decided to wheel out the road bike this morning, my main reasons for not using it are the limited space in the saddle bag and not wanting to use it in the wet. But today nice and dry plus the warmer weather means less to carry.

Extremely enjoyable and so much faster than my heavy hybrid.

Going great guns until about 32km into the ride when I hear the dreaded hiss from the rear. Stopped had a look, a big gash right in the centre of the tread but looking back where it probably occurred no culprits to be found. Luckily I am a 10 minute walk from home, so I decide to cycle as long as I can then walk the rest. Then as I cycle along the single hiss turns into two hisses, now one coming from the front. Stop, have a quick look, same problem a gash in the middle of the tread. So now I have to walk home with two flat tyres.
Ten minutes later arrive home and transfer all my gear to my main commuter and cycle of to work.
I am using Rubino Pro 3's and have ridden about 2000km on them, not used them for 4 months and a bit surprised then punctured in a similar way and a similar time.
Will have to spend this evening investigating, at least I already have a set of brand new GP4000s to replace them waiting in the garage.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
What...you were 32k into a ride to work but only 10 mins from home?

do you live on a train?

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
What...you were 32k into a ride to work but only 10 mins from home?

do you live on a train?
I only live about 3km from work, so to add some distance I ride out to the south and east of Swindon then loop back past my house to the west of Swindon where I work.
I could actually walk to work in about 40 minutes at my normal leisurely pace but decided I could use my commute for some exercise, as it is the only opportunity I have these days.

Maz

Guru
So from your house to work is 3km, but you extend the ride to make it +32km. Wow, that's some loop.

Anyways, I think the gist of your post was about the double puncture, that's a bummer.

32km that some loop...

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
On closer inspection I found a very small piece of glass embedded in each tyre, took a little effort to remove them.
I can only assume I picked the glass up on the way and eventually they made it through to the inner tubes.
The tyres do look a little cut up but not to bad so possibly the glass enter via these cuts.
Need to think about whether to use them again but for now just using some new GP 4000s tyres I happened to have waiting in the garage.
Could not feel any difference in the ride, the Conti's seem a little thicker where it is needed, although the Rubino's look nicer.

Top Bottom