First time on road shoes with cleats..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray316

Über Member
l have just been out for the first time on road shoes with cleats:sweat: l was bricking it..
l put the new cleats on the shoes and new pedals on, l bought the shimano R540 and after reading up on them tried them out in the house trying to clip and unclip out of them.
l them went out on them and noticed my speed had improved slightly but was still nervous incase l had to stop quick and panic not being able to get out of them.. anyway as it happens l did,nt have to stop once as l timed my approach to lights and junctions.. but that's not really help me as l still need to know how to get out the pedals quick if l need to.. Any tips on getting out pedals quick or methods you use when on the road approaching traffic lights/ junctions etc..

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
l have just been out for the first time on road shoes with cleats:sweat: l was bricking it..
l put the new cleats on the shoes and new pedals on, l bought the shimano R540 and after reading up on them tried them out in the house trying to clip and unclip out of them.
l them went out on them and noticed my speed had improved slightly but was still nervous incase l had to stop quick and panic not being able to get out of them.. anyway as it happens l did,nt have to stop once as l timed my approach to lights and junctions.. but that's not really help me as l still need to know how to get out the pedals quick if l need to.. Any tips on getting out pedals quick or methods you use when on the road approaching traffic lights/ junctions etc..
Go to the park and practice.
Unclip one foot when you approach the lights/junction/hazard rather than at the last moment. Anticipate.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just remember "UNCLIP" at every stop... Shout it loud in your head.
I was out last Sunday with a mate who'd just gone over to clipless... I pulled up to a red light and stopped, still clipped in and used a barrier to rest on, he forgot to unclip... and his new bike ended up on the floor with his new pedals, shoes and bibs.
Being a sympathetic bloke I laughed my head off.....

Maylian

Veteran
I unclip pretty much at every stop, like foodie say's anticipate when you'll need to unclip and do it early. I have my cleats very firm since I find it easier to unclip in a hurry but only had to do that once so far and not yet had a "clipless" moment

Brad

Unclip at every stop and push your heels DOWN and TO THE SIDE to unclip easily ;)

OP
OP
R

ray316

Über Member
I unclip pretty much at every stop, like foodie say's anticipate when you'll need to unclip and do it early. I have my cleats very firm since I find it easier to unclip in a hurry but only had to do that once so far and not yet had a "clipless" moment
Is it easy have them firm then, is that all the way increased down on the black notch bar..
l have mine on the top fully decreased..
Also whats the best method to start of on the pedals, do you clip into the pedals when they are down or at the top of the stroke..

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
+! anticipate. Unclip before you stop, unclip as you approach a junction, as you approach an obstruction, horse rider, road works, whatever. Leave your foot on the pedal, in the unclipped position, then you can clip back in or not as required. It soon becomes automatic.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
you'll soon get used to it - even sooner if you forget once - it will leave a mental scar that is hard to forget . we all go out as a group and when beginning we all went and done the slow motion timber at one point or another . being a member of the sarcastic cyclers club then sympathy is very rare - just hope you get between the bike and tarmac to cushion the blow to the bike and try to fall left not right :rolleyes:

Maylian

Veteran
It might just be the way I unclip but I don't like much float on the pedals because it feels too loose for me and because there is no float I know the range of movement will unclip rather than just wobble around. Probably just a personal preference

Berties

Fast and careful!
with in a month it will be second nature,if you take your foot off a peddle before , now a quick twist out of your heel will be the same to put your foot down,keep with it ,good luck

defy-one

you'll soon get used to it - even sooner if you forget once - it will leave a mental scar that is hard to forget . we all go out as a group and when beginning we all went and done the slow motion timber at one point or another . being a member of the sarcastic cyclers club then sympathy is very rare - just hope you get between the bike and tarmac to cushion the blow to the bike and try to fall left not right :rolleyes:

He's right. You'll fall of once and never have an issue again!

OP
OP
R

ray316

Über Member
He's right. You'll fall of once and never have an issue again!
Well l've just gone and done it:blush: went out this evening and no problem on the ride, then get back home and outside the house gate slowed right down and starting to lose my balance realised l had to unclip my foot.
Panicked as l could get my left foot out and to late to try the right foot, Crash straight onto the concrete grazing my elbow...
Felt a right plonker as l live on a busy mainroad and looking around to see if anyone had seen it as l tryed to unclip while on the floor.
Anyway after that l went on a quiet back street and practiced slowing down and stoping uncliping my right standing foot before setting off again. l tryed clipping back in without looking down but l just find it so hard and missing clipping in to the pedal unless l look down.. but how can l start off ok from junctions/ traffic lights unless l look down to clip in..
Also is it best to unclip the standing foot when stopping , and l was also thinking if l cannot clip in straight away when moving off it would be safer just to get the foot on the pedal and get moving untill it's safe to look down to clip in..

berty bassett

Legendary Member
welcome to the TIMBER club - horrible feeling aint it . honestly you will get used to it , i will probably get shouted at for this but i have got in the habit of - if in doubt i twist my foot so i feel it clip out then leave it there so if i have to stop i just have to lift it off and if i dont then just push down and it clips in . - this works on my peddles but i dont know if it does on everybodies so dont blame me if it dont on yours ^_^ must admit you have to make sure it dont click back in but you feel it if it does . and you will get the hang of clipping back in at junctions - sometimes you miss and just light peddle till you can have another go but its easy for your foot to slip - when its safe just have a go at clipping in without looking it will get better each time you do it and it is worth the hassle

buddha

Veteran
The OP sounds just like the first time I rode clipless.
To add to what's been said above:
One small thing to remember is to change-down a gear (or 2) before you approach a junction/crossing where you will stop. You may have to set off under the power of one leg if you don't clip the other foot in first time round!
Practice, practice, practice ...

Top Bottom