First Time Tour - Glasgow To Inverness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coopman

Did my first tour last week, just a short one, Glasgow to Inverness, 206 miles, but was a good starting point to see how it would be and if I enjoyed it.
Scenery was amazing, followed the Sustrans route mostly.
Weather was a bit wet for 2 of the days, so switched from my tent to hostels (was always part of plan).
Did 65, 50, 55 and 30 miles each day. I think to enjoy it a bit more Id kept distances down to 50 or under each day. I was a lot slower with the gear on bike than I though I would be, and of course Scotland is Hilly!

Here is a list of gear I took in case anyone is fancying a go and not sure what to bring. I pretty much used it all.

Bike - Saracen Venturer 4 hybrid, performed brilliantly
Sleeping bag (one that squished up really small)
3/4 self inflating mattress (from millets)
Tent - Gelert Solo, a budget 1 man tent, but did well in rain and is light, small though.
Extra Groundsheet to put under tent (glad i had this)
Cooking pot small with lid
sponge scourer and small container of fairy
Knife/fork/spoon
Swiss army knife
matches
Camping Gaz stove with small gas cannister
Water purification tabs (for rough camping)
plastic mug/bowl/plate
Bike bottles x 3
Teas/sugar/powdered milk
Hot chocolate sachets
Emergency rations for wild camping (hill walker meals and rice and pasta meals from supermarket)
Cereal Bars x 8
Energy gel sachets x 8
Helmet
Puncture kit, spare tube and misc tools to fit bike
Lock
Pump
Bike lights
Pen and Pad
Compass and maps
Headset torch
Freeloader to charge mobile phone
Pastic bags
3 glow stick to put out side tent at night
Small first aid kit
Insect repellent
Toiletries
Half a kitchen roll
3 cycling t shirts
2 long sleeve cycle tops
4 socks/jocks
Cycling jacket
2 cycling shorts (waterproof altura-baggy)
3 pairs of padded under shorts
cycling gloves water proof and fingerless
1 set casual clothes for eveings
midgie helmet
insect repellent

The only thing I wished I had was neprene overshoes to keep my feet dry!
All fitted in 2 rear pannier, handlebar bag and under seat tool bag, ten on top rear pannier.
Panniers were just halfords specials, but they held out alright in rain, that said i did line them with bin bags. The outside zip pocket let water in.
Killed my mobile with rain in handle bar bag, should of bagged it in a sandwich bag or similiar!
The only things I am tempted to change would be a slightly bigger tent and suffer the extra weight for the comfort when weather is bad.
hers a few pics of the bike laden, me camped and a taste of the scenery you can expect.
Happy trails!

2805659740_7888033626.jpg

2805663254_a1a24244da.jpg

2805664262_1c80e75cdc.jpg

stephenjubb

Über Member
great post.

glad you enjoyed it.

can you give some more detail please on why you were glad you had a groundsheet.

I am offer on a tour of scotland on sat and considered a groundsheet but rejected as didn't want the weight.

I'm thinking should I reconsider?

cheers

Steve Jubb

OP
OP
C

coopman

stephenjubb said:
can you give some more detail please on why you were glad you had a groundsheet.

I am offer on a tour of scotland on sat and considered a groundsheet but rejected as didn't want the weight.

The tent only had a thin sewn in grounsheet (not pvc type), I guess to keep its weight down, and I was worried that in wet weather it would soak through. The ground sheet i used was a homemade one from a square of woven pvc you can buy at diy stores that I cut to size. It was no real extra weight at all and was totally waterproof and made sure the bottom of tent was really dry. Plus I cut it bigger than inner tent to line the porch area of tent to keep my panniers and shoes on at night. If your tent has a sewn in pvc type grounsheet I would not bother.

Bigtallfatbloke

well done!

Good to see the pics. I was interested in your kit list. The glow sticks make a lot of sense. I often hang my hi vis reflective vest out on the tent at night to reduce the risk of waking up with a 4x4 on top of me, but the glo sticks would seem to do a better job. How heavy is a pack of those things?

Th eblue tarp from B&Q is what i use as well as an additional ground sheet. I would not be without it. It costs nothing, weighs nothing and makes life so much easier as you jus tknow your tent will stay waterproof from underneath wherever to pitch . It also has some other uses, like an excess baggage fee preventer:

:biggrin:

OP
OP
C

coopman

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Good to see the pics. I was interested in your kit list. The glow sticks make a lot of sense. I often hang my hi vis reflective vest out on the tent at night to reduce the risk of waking up with a 4x4 on top of me, but the glo sticks would seem to do a better job. How heavy is a pack of those things?

4 glow stick in their wrapper weigh in at 114grams on my digital kitchen scales! Basically not much. I got mine on ebay, 20 for £9.99, a third of the price of the high street and you can get them in any colour. Also handy for a spot of clubbing :biggrin:

cannondale boy

Über Member
Well done coopman for posting this...just as i will be doing a tour myself next week, (dunfermline to oban and back) so i know pretty much what to expect. I won't be doing the camping bit, as i think the weather will be rain, rain, & probably more rain.

How big are the panniers? My panniers are 46 litres, so i think it should be enough for 5 days. I was thinking of taking energy gels too, but how many did you actually use?

Staying at YH's, not to expensive as after august the prices go down a few bob. How much were the fees for staying at a campsite?

snorri

Legendary Member
stephenjubb said:
and considered a groundsheet but rejected as didn't want the weight.
Although my tent has a fitted groundsheet, I like to have a separate groundsheet for the same reasons coopman gives, it protects the tent groundsheet from damage, keeps it clean, and can be used a damproof seat for impromptu picnics. Mine has eyelets, so along with cordage or elastics it can also be used as a temporary tent during sudden rainstorms, or as an additional protection to keep luggage on the panniers dry or hidden from prying eyes!

OP
OP
C

coopman

cannondale boy said:
How big are the panniers? My panniers are 46 litres, so i think it should be enough for 5 days. I was thinking of taking energy gels too, but how many did you actually use?

Staying at YH's, not to expensive as after august the prices go down a few bob. How much were the fees for staying at a campsite?

I took 8 energy gels, they were quite small ones, 100kcal each I think along with my 8 cereal bars. Eating a bar or gel as I go helps me avoid the dreaded "bonk" and you definetley feel the energy off them within 15 to 30 mins. This was for 4 days.

Campsite I stayed at was 8 quid i think, the hostel I stayed in was 15 quid (included bed linen and towels).

I think my panniers were 20 litres each, so at 46 litres with no tent you should have heaps of space!

Top Bottom