First Time Tour - Glasgow To Inverness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coopman

Did my first tour last week, just a short one, Glasgow to Inverness, 206 miles, but was a good starting point to see how it would be and if I enjoyed it.
Scenery was amazing, followed the Sustrans route mostly.
Weather was a bit wet for 2 of the days, so switched from my tent to hostels (was always part of plan).
Did 65, 50, 55 and 30 miles each day. I think to enjoy it a bit more Id kept distances down to 50 or under each day. I was a lot slower with the gear on bike than I though I would be, and of course Scotland is Hilly!

Here is a list of gear I took in case anyone is fancying a go and not sure what to bring. I pretty much used it all.

Bike - Saracen Venturer 4 hybrid, performed brilliantly
Sleeping bag (one that squished up really small)
3/4 self inflating mattress (from millets)
Tent - Gelert Solo, a budget 1 man tent, but did well in rain and is light, small though.
Extra Groundsheet to put under tent (glad i had this)
Cooking pot small with lid
sponge scourer and small container of fairy
Knife/fork/spoon
Swiss army knife
matches
Camping Gaz stove with small gas cannister
Water purification tabs (for rough camping)
plastic mug/bowl/plate
Bike bottles x 3
Teas/sugar/powdered milk
Hot chocolate sachets
Emergency rations for wild camping (hill walker meals and rice and pasta meals from supermarket)
Cereal Bars x 8
Energy gel sachets x 8
Helmet
Puncture kit, spare tube and misc tools to fit bike
Lock
Pump
Bike lights
Pen and Pad
Compass and maps
Headset torch
Freeloader to charge mobile phone
Pastic bags
3 glow stick to put out side tent at night
Small first aid kit
Insect repellent
Toiletries
Half a kitchen roll
3 cycling t shirts
2 long sleeve cycle tops
4 socks/jocks
Cycling jacket
2 cycling shorts (waterproof altura-baggy)
3 pairs of padded under shorts
cycling gloves water proof and fingerless
1 set casual clothes for eveings
midgie helmet
insect repellent

The only thing I wished I had was neprene overshoes to keep my feet dry!
All fitted in 2 rear pannier, handlebar bag and under seat tool bag, ten on top rear pannier.
Panniers were just halfords specials, but they held out alright in rain, that said i did line them with bin bags. The outside zip pocket let water in.
Killed my mobile with rain in handle bar bag, should of bagged it in a sandwich bag or similiar!
The only things I am tempted to change would be a slightly bigger tent and suffer the extra weight for the comfort when weather is bad.
hers a few pics of the bike laden, me camped and a taste of the scenery you can expect.
Happy trails!

2805659740_7888033626.jpg

2805663254_a1a24244da.jpg

2805664262_1c80e75cdc.jpg

stephenjubb

Über Member
great post.

glad you enjoyed it.

can you give some more detail please on why you were glad you had a groundsheet.

I am offer on a tour of scotland on sat and considered a groundsheet but rejected as didn't want the weight.

I'm thinking should I reconsider?

cheers

Steve Jubb

OP
OP
C

coopman

stephenjubb said:
can you give some more detail please on why you were glad you had a groundsheet.

I am offer on a tour of scotland on sat and considered a groundsheet but rejected as didn't want the weight.

The tent only had a thin sewn in grounsheet (not pvc type), I guess to keep its weight down, and I was worried that in wet weather it would soak through. The ground sheet i used was a homemade one from a square of woven pvc you can buy at diy stores that I cut to size. It was no real extra weight at all and was totally waterproof and made sure the bottom of tent was really dry. Plus I cut it bigger than inner tent to line the porch area of tent to keep my panniers and shoes on at night. If your tent has a sewn in pvc type grounsheet I would not bother.

OP
OP
C

coopman

Crackle said:
Well done, that's a good effort for a first tour. I'm curious though, why the glow sticks?

Good for finding your tent at night and stops drunks walking over it by mistake on campsites cos its so small and low!!!

Bigtallfatbloke

well done!

Good to see the pics. I was interested in your kit list. The glow sticks make a lot of sense. I often hang my hi vis reflective vest out on the tent at night to reduce the risk of waking up with a 4x4 on top of me, but the glo sticks would seem to do a better job. How heavy is a pack of those things?

Th eblue tarp from B&Q is what i use as well as an additional ground sheet. I would not be without it. It costs nothing, weighs nothing and makes life so much easier as you jus tknow your tent will stay waterproof from underneath wherever to pitch . It also has some other uses, like an excess baggage fee preventer:

:biggrin:

OP
OP
C

coopman

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Good to see the pics. I was interested in your kit list. The glow sticks make a lot of sense. I often hang my hi vis reflective vest out on the tent at night to reduce the risk of waking up with a 4x4 on top of me, but the glo sticks would seem to do a better job. How heavy is a pack of those things?

4 glow stick in their wrapper weigh in at 114grams on my digital kitchen scales! Basically not much. I got mine on ebay, 20 for £9.99, a third of the price of the high street and you can get them in any colour. Also handy for a spot of clubbing :biggrin:

cannondale boy

Über Member
Well done coopman for posting this...just as i will be doing a tour myself next week, (dunfermline to oban and back) so i know pretty much what to expect. I won't be doing the camping bit, as i think the weather will be rain, rain, & probably more rain.

How big are the panniers? My panniers are 46 litres, so i think it should be enough for 5 days. I was thinking of taking energy gels too, but how many did you actually use?

Staying at YH's, not to expensive as after august the prices go down a few bob. How much were the fees for staying at a campsite?

snorri

Legendary Member
stephenjubb said:
and considered a groundsheet but rejected as didn't want the weight.
Although my tent has a fitted groundsheet, I like to have a separate groundsheet for the same reasons coopman gives, it protects the tent groundsheet from damage, keeps it clean, and can be used a damproof seat for impromptu picnics. Mine has eyelets, so along with cordage or elastics it can also be used as a temporary tent during sudden rainstorms, or as an additional protection to keep luggage on the panniers dry or hidden from prying eyes!

OP
OP
C

coopman

cannondale boy said:
How big are the panniers? My panniers are 46 litres, so i think it should be enough for 5 days. I was thinking of taking energy gels too, but how many did you actually use?

Staying at YH's, not to expensive as after august the prices go down a few bob. How much were the fees for staying at a campsite?

I took 8 energy gels, they were quite small ones, 100kcal each I think along with my 8 cereal bars. Eating a bar or gel as I go helps me avoid the dreaded "bonk" and you definetley feel the energy off them within 15 to 30 mins. This was for 4 days.

Campsite I stayed at was 8 quid i think, the hostel I stayed in was 15 quid (included bed linen and towels).

I think my panniers were 20 litres each, so at 46 litres with no tent you should have heaps of space!

Top Bottom