First time tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have only needed it once touchwood but I carry a £3 lifeline Tubeless repair kit since I bought it. I also carry a pump. I usually end up carrying a spare tube and tyre levers too. I've never needed the tube and levers but Sod's Law if I didn't carry them I would 😂

Sounds like you should try to get some more sealant in there. You could check to see where the leak is coming from by rotating the tyre through a basin of water first. Remove the valve core if you can and inject some sealant. If the valve core can't be removed then you'll have to unseat a section of the tyre to get it in.
Thanks. Good idea. I will do it one tyre with the other as control. I originally planned to re-seat the tyres after 3 months and I am into my 2nd month.

As Tubeless came from the MTB world where it is a necessity , their experience is around low PSI. I suspect that their rim seal technology cannot handle higher PSI without a proper seal with no giving. Explains why bike manufacturers advice is to ride below usual road tyre pressure without a reason given except "smoother ride". And we know how placebo comes into all this.

boydj

Legendary Member
Thanks. Good idea. I will do it one tyre with the other as control. I originally planned to re-seat the tyres after 3 months and I am into my 2nd month.

As Tubeless came from the MTB world where it is a necessity , their experience is around low PSI. I suspect that their rim seal technology cannot handle higher PSI without a proper seal with no giving. Explains why bike manufacturers advice is to ride below usual road tyre pressure without a reason given except "smoother ride". And we know how placebo comes into all this.

I have three sets of wheels on tubeless, two of which I set up myself on tubeless rims with properly tubeless tyres. The key is to do a good job with the rim tape and valve and then get the tyre seated properly. I've not had a puncture that I'm aware of in the last two years, running the tyres at 70/80 psi and the ride is as good as light tyres with latex tubes.

Parcicle

Have a TCR running tubeless. Done about 4000 miles and have had to had both tyres replaced, both punctures were split sidewalls about a year apart. There was no plugging them! Always carry a tube or two and it has paid its dues! Just enough to bung it in and limp home (or to the local bikeshop as one was on a LEJOG jaunt).

Find they do need topping up more regularly than tubed set ups but feel like they save me plenty of roadside changes.

I have three sets of wheels on tubeless, two of which I set up myself on tubeless rims with properly tubeless tyres. The key is to do a good job with the rim tape and valve and then get the tyre seated properly. I've not had a puncture that I'm aware of in the last two years, running the tyres at 70/80 psi and the ride is as good as light tyres with latex tubes.
I actually had no punctures on my other road tube tyres for over 3 years. I guess I was lucky or the roads are decent. Before that it was occasional and a quick fix. No maintenance. Tube tyres have also improved quite decently over the years with the level of puncture resistance offered.

Even Stans had to come out with large crystals for road tyres as their regular and long regarded sealant for MTBs could not hold under higher PSI for roads tyres. So the technology is still improving. I also note the industry standard has not been fully adopted.

I will probably go back to tubes until level of maintenance drops. Not worth the attention for now.

Have a TCR running tubeless. Done about 4000 miles and have had to had both tyres replaced, both punctures were split sidewalls about a year apart. There was no plugging them! Always carry a tube or two and it has paid its dues! Just enough to bung it in and limp home (or to the local bikeshop as one was on a LEJOG jaunt).

Find they do need topping up more regularly than tubed set ups but feel like they save me plenty of roadside changes.

Sorry, it's a bit unclear, how many miles did you do before the first tyre split?

T4tomo

Guru
I'm very surprised Cink the CZE rider in the Mountain biking Olympic race didn't just pop a plug into his tyre and carry on when he punctured....

Top Bottom