First tour, advice please on emergency gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm about to go on a 2 week tour - this is my list which looks like it's heavy and bulky, it isn't!

Seems reasonable - be interesting to collate what the other ten have - and then publish the % of what is actually used :smile:

Edit - I assume that you are going to France as you have included a spork as emergency gear - for Sundays and Mondays :smile:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
There is also a train of thought which many tourers lock into: 'Must have every spare bit for every catastrophe!'

But why? If you are touring in Europe, the bike shops are going to be pretty decent and will have whatever back up you need. Sure, be prepared, but leave space for a few luxuries like fresh coffee and dried mango.

And a teddy. Don't forget the teddy.

If you carry a multi tool with a spoke key, learn to use it before you go. A few minor turns can trim a buckle out of a wheel or take enough out to keep using the wheel in an emergency.

Tuning a wheel is easy once you lnow how but the side of the road is not the place to learn.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm about to go on a 2 week tour - this is my list which looks like it's heavy and bulky, it isn't!

Tools:
Plastic gloves
2 off Tubes (for tyre size)
Puncture repair kit
Tyre levers
3 off CO2 cartridges & connector
Pump (mini track pump housed in frame seat tube)
Folding tyre 700 x 25 [The spare folding tyre is as emergency cover for the whole group of 11 and we'll take it in turns to carry it]
Chain splitter (in light alloy multi-tool)
Multi-tool
3 off Magic chain links 8speed
Oil (3-in-1 spray)
Rag
Cable ties, nuts & bolts, tape
Kevlar replacement spoke & key
Cassette removal tool (Unior)
2 off Toeclip straps for attaching anything
Waterproofs/Clothes:
Jacket (lightweight, windproof)
Jacket (clear PVC "racing cape")
Helmet cover
Rainlegs
Arm & leg warmers
Spare gloves
Misc:
Lock & cable loop for helmet locking
Strap for holding bike on train
Spork
Swiss Army knife
Mini First Aid kit
Sterilising tablets
Medical kit/pills (personal)
Suncream

Rob

This almost mimics my kit with the exception of:

CO2 cartridges
Folding tyre
Kevlar kit (couldn't use it)
Cassette removal tool (couldn't use it)
Only take one jacket
Rain legs
Helmet cover

If I was going to Scotland I'd take rain legs.

I am struggling to see how the OP needs so much kit for three nights on Arran. I do though fully understand the confidence and comfort to be gained on the first tour by covering all eventualities.

By the second tour it will probably be "l'll worry about that when it happens!" It usually doesn't.

Lee_M

Guru
3 nights with a bike that heavily laden. How far are you planning to travel? You probably don't need anymore than a standard saddle bag for tools

If you are touring in Europe, the bike shops are going to be pretty decent and will have whatever back up you need.

In my experience it can be long way between bike shops and not all bike shops are equal - horses for courses again ^_^ - a three day tour to Arran - basic tools, puncture kit, pump and a spare tube should suffice - 4 months around Europe I would take not much more - another tube - spare cables and brake blocks - best thing is to make sure that what is on the bike already is in good nick - something i've failed with in the past - mostly due to complacency

And a teddy. Don't forget the teddy.

Apart from the fact that I look awful in a teddy - don't ask how I know ^_^

Most of mine are hitchhikers

20170530_095927.jpg

Left to right - Little Ted-Desert Road, New Zealand - Sven-Sweden - Alfonso-Spain

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
General consensus seems to be I've packed too much, here is my list

Tent
Sleeping bag
Camping mat
Trangia stove
Bit of spare fuel
Fork
Power bank

Spare bib shorts
Spare short sleeve jersey
Arm warmers
Leg warmers
Spare socks
Lightweight wind/waterproof jacket

Pair of normal shorts
Lightweight down jacket
Base layer

Couple of packets of food
Bottle of water
Tea and coffee

Couple of inner tubes
2 X CO2
Multi tool
Chain splitter
Chain link

I'm not sure what I can lose, don't forget I'm camping. Thoughts please. My bike is now heavy but surely I can't pare it down that much can I?

Last edited:
You're not taking a pump? Or a patch kit? I think 3 or more punctures on a heavily laden bike over 3 days is probably more of a risk than any other single failure, especially if it rains.

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
You're not taking a pump? Or a patch kit? I think 3 or more punctures on a heavily laden bike over 3 days is probably more of a risk than any other single failure, especially if it rains.
Sorry, missed that, yes taking a mini pump and you have just reminded me about the repair kit. There's probably other little things I've missed off like oil for cooking, salt, sugar etc but the main stuff is listed.

I'm not sure what I can lose, don't forget I'm camping. Thoughts please. My bike is now heavy but surely I can't pare it down that much can I?

I think you are good to go - doesn't sound heavy to me - but my standards of heavy are different to other peoples ^_^- don't worry about weight - its not a biggy - you just need to accept that you are not going to be going as fast as if you are unladen - toddle if necessary - the old cliche - it is the journey that is important not the destination :smile:

Top Bottom