First tour, advice please on emergency gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
Just put it all together, fully laden it weighs a ton, 54lbs to be precise, just rode it down the road, didn't feel too bad but then again I didn't go up any hills! Its actually only 13 lbs heavier with me included than I was 3 years ago before I started cycling so that's reassuring.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
An easy emergency spoke can be made from one about 5-10mm longer than any on your bike. Use it by making a 'Z' bend through the flange hole and tightening at the rim as usual.
Edit: the elbow should be cut off.

If you're using rear panniers you're unlikely to bend a gear hanger even if you drop the bike.

Last edited:
24.5kg :rofl:

touring load.JPG

snorri

Legendary Member
General consensus seems to be I've packed too much, here is my list................I'm not sure what I can lose, don't forget I'm camping. Thoughts please. My bike is now heavy but surely I can't pare it down that much can I?
Just go with that!
I would add to your list, and exclude some things from your list, but really it's down to personal preferences based on experience.
When on longer tours I find it refreshing to have a complete change of clothing, including footwear, for exploring the area on foot in the evenings, but that's just me!
Enjoy your trip:smile:.

nice chart which shows how pretty unimportant the bike and its bits are to the weight. Thanks.

Does no one take a pillow or am I the only one to get neck ache after 2 nights without a decent neck support?

I use a pannier - with a towel or a fleece spread over it - decent size and nice and firm - the pannier also makes a nice back support when im sitting in the tent

Top Bottom