First tour - kit advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joecrow

Hello everyone,
Really appreciate any advice and pointers anyone can give me.
I'm heading for a first bike tour in September - about 400 miles around the Med from Italy to Spain. Never done anything like this before.
I have an old, but very clean, Trek 7500 - hybrid, flat bars, good gearset, standard. Planning to upgrade the seat, tyres to to something like Gator skins, pannier rack at the back.
The main queries I have are: is the bike strong enough (I'm 6'3" and ca. 13 stone), are flat bars OK, and what would be the best pedals for a starter, who's never used clip-ins before? Three of us going - other two are more experienced - and we are not carrying camping gear (too old for that!). I have no idea if this is something that will become a habit, so I'm a bit wary of spending on new touring bike, etc.
I have recently been trying to train on the road, 20 miles at a time, but is a static bike in the gym (when time dictates this) almost as good, fitness-wise?
Your thoughts are most appreciated.
Many thanks,
Joe

Bigtallfatbloke

I have no idea if this is something that will become a habit

it will.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum - bet you're so excited about your trip. You should be, it'll be amazing...and addictive.

My thought, bearing in mind I'm a technical numpty.

My husband has toured through Europe doing the same kind of distance you mention on a flat bar, aluminium hybrid from Halfords and had no trouble at all. I do think it's worth you taking your bike to a bike shop and getting it thoroughly serviced before you go. He's 6"4 and about 16 stone, so of a similar size to you.

We'd really recommend the good old favourite tyres, Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I also have Specialized Armadillo Nimbus and we both did a 1200 mile extravaganza in May with no punctures.

No idea about clip in pedals as I'm too chicken to do so, so I used flat pedals. The husband used clips but I'm not sure what he used.

I don't think you can beat training outside on the roads but last year, we went to India with a group and one chap had trained entirely in a gym on the static bike and whipped our arses...he was fantastic. Admittedly he was a tennis instructor so already fit and active, but I don't think it would make an enormous amount of difference. However it's hard to replicate hills properly on a gym bike, and you also get used to handling your bike on the road. I'd try to go out when you could, but inside when there's no other alternative.

As I said, I'm not an expert, just an enthusiast! You'll love it though...

Alves

You should really try to get a few short tours even if it's only for a w/e before you go to iron out any problems with your kit and bike. This is arguably more important than your fitness which will improve as you tootle along on your tour.
Only trial and error will allow you to fettle your bike and sort out what works for you from a point of view of footwear and saddle etc and what to take as off-bike evening wear.
Taking as little kit as you can will make the tour more enjoyable, if I had one lesson learned the hard way for you it is "less is more" when touring unless you're off to Timbuctoo, of course.
Have a great trip.

jags

Guru
shorts,your going to need them big time so if you haven't got any then get some like top of the range assos and assos cream your ass will thank you.as for the bike we need more info what gears have you what's the terraine going to be like hilly or flat ,you can get pedals that's clipless on one side flat on other well worth getting .have a great tour.

OP
OP
J

joecrow

Thanks for the comments everyone.
All of what you've said makes sense. In answer to some of the points: As for short practice tours, I doubt I have time for these, but I maybe some long day trips, such as 60 to 80 miles, with full panniers, would work? The terrain I expect will be very up and down for 2 1/2 days, and pretty flat for the remainder. First half is the hilly bit. Gears are Shimano Deore LX. As for pedals, Jags' comment makes sense - are one sided pedals a nuisance, or easy enough to get into? Would you recommend SPD, Time, Look? I'm thinking SPD after many conversations.......
Off to try a few laps of Richmond Park. On last run of 20 miles on single track roads outside Inverness, I only met one car, which was a pleasure.
Thanks again,
Joe

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If you're going to use spd's I'd go for mtb pedals and shoes with recessed cleats so you can walk about during the day. I actually walked about in mine in the evenings too.

Don't be tempted to take too much kit - in hotels you can wash and dry overnight.

jags

Guru
rich p has it nailed mountain bike shoes or sandles shimano do both and there excellent ,great price with chainreaction on sandles and spd pedals.the trick with riding spd's for the first time is ,click in your right foot ,but not your left. until you get used to them,oh and get the shorts.

prjw

toring 1st time

hi,
iv'e just returned from my 1st tour. i only bought my bike 7 weeks ago and have never done any serious cycling before. it was a bit of a challenge set by myself and my 15 year old son who is a bit of an achiever in various fields. i cycled from st. malo to narbonne in 14 days. 11 campsites, 2 hotels and 1 night when i was put up by a french couple. looking back is strange and i really couldn't offer you any bike technical advice other than travel as light as poss. i am 54 and struggled later on in the heat etc. i sent 6 kilos back half way and that helped. on your own is different too. make sure you have a personal focus that fits in to the group dynamic/concensuus. who is the leader? do you know each other well ? are you the leader ? male/female ? time constraints ? i wish you good weather and good luck ! synchronisation or synchronicity is the key, organise well afore ye go !
paul

jags

Guru
prjw,that tour sounds great have you any pic's you can share ,tell us more like what stuff did you send home .

jay clock

Massive member
Hi Joe

Firstly shoes. I would definitely go the SPD route - and I would suggest the M324 pedals or equivalent. Clip on one side, flat on the other. There are tons of shoes that will work, but I have Specialized Taho, and I also have Shimano sandals.

Secondly, the route. The bit from Marseille to Narbonne along the coast is not stunning. I would loop inland a little, assuming by then you have worked out that cycling is something you can do! Head towards Avignon and Nimes and then loop round towards the coast

Three - look at www.crazyguyonabike.com/julian and you will see my records of rides, including the bit of coast from Perpignan over into Spain, plus the site in general is a stunning place to read and dream!

Four: training - make sure you do a lot of short rides. Try and cycle every day for a few miles. Try and fit in one or two longer rides. The first time I ever cycled 60 miles was having been commuting 10 miles a day for a few weeks and it was a breeze

You will have a FANTASTIC time

OP
OP
J

joecrow

Well Everyone, thanks again for all the comments. Mighty interesting to get your views on the trip.
Sounds like MTB shoes/ SPD pedals are the way to go. Not sure about the one-sided pedals though, as I've heard that they are more trouble than they are worth??
As for training, up to 1 1/2 to 2 hours every second day, or some time on a static (spinning?) bike at the gym, where I am reliably informed it is all about cadence, not resistance - 90 to 100 rpm. Damned hard work!
As for the route, I'll pass on the comments to the other 2 guys and see where we end up. It is meant to be all about fun, not a chore, so I appreciate the advice.
Great website - found out some gems, such as bibs, not shorts, pannier advice, etc.
Cheers to all,
Joe

coopman

joecrow said:
Sounds like MTB shoes/ SPD pedals are the way to go. Not sure about the one-sided pedals though, as I've heard that they are more trouble than they are worth??
Joe

I have one sided pedals and found them good once i got used to them. I quite often pop down the shops on mine in my civvies and they are great for riding with any shoe. Plus I find if I am in traffic I can cycle on the regular side even with my spd's on and the shoe sits just fine. horse for courses as they say.

andym

Über Member
Not sure about the one-sided pedals though, as I've heard that they are more trouble than they are worth??

Yep that would be my view.

If you want SPDs but with more of a platform go for the Shimano pedals with a resin cage (I think they are the 424s). The bearings are also serviceable - the ones on the single-sided pedals aren't. They're also a lot lighter.

Top Bottom