First tour - kit advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

willem

Über Member
There is a new model Shimano spd pedals with one normal side, and these are better than the old 324 or whatever. However, I see no reason to use anything other than dual sided spd. That is just so much more convenient, and if you really want to be able to use normal shoes for brief rides to the shops, well you can on an spd pedal. No problem. As for the shoes, there is nothing like actualliy trying them on: this is not something to buy mail order. And don't buy them too tight. As for brands: their shapes differ from narrow to very wide.
You will need two pairs of proper cycling shorts, an ddon't wear underwear with them.
If you need a new cassette (rear chainwheels), get one with at least 32 teeth on the biggest sprocket.
Use as many battle cages as will fit on your bike. I like the Sigg aluminium bottles since they stay cooler (not all cages will work with these).
Get sufficiently sturdy and still fast tyres. My recommendation woulod be th eordinary (HS 368) Schwalbe Marathon, and not the mArathon Plus. The latter has better puncture protection, but i sunnecessarily slow and uncormfortable. The ordinary Marathon is sturdy enough, and a much sweeter tyre. Perhaps fit a slightly wi8der ture. Many hybrid bikes come with 37 mm but 42mm will often fit. This is far more comrrotable, and makes the bike handle better on rough surfaces. Contrary to folklore wider tyres are not or hardly any slower. And this is for touring, where the ability to ride on rough roads or even stretches of off road is paramount.
Get a sprung Brooks saddle such as the Champion Flyer.
Wear cycling gloves and a helmet.
Willem

aqaleigh

prjw said:
hi,
iv'e just returned from my 1st tour. i only bought my bike 7 weeks ago and have never done any serious cycling before. it was a bit of a challenge set by myself and my 15 year old son who is a bit of an achiever in various fields. i cycled from st. malo to narbonne in 14 days. 11 campsites, 2 hotels and 1 night when i was put up by a french couple. looking back is strange and i really couldn't offer you any bike technical advice other than travel as light as poss. i am 54 and struggled later on in the heat etc. i sent 6 kilos back half way and that helped. on your own is different too. make sure you have a personal focus that fits in to the group dynamic/concensuus. who is the leader? do you know each other well ? are you the leader ? male/female ? time constraints ? i wish you good weather and good luck ! synchronisation or synchronicity is the key, organise well afore ye go !
paul

hi paul

just wondering if you would recommend anywhere in particular on this route - I am doing a 14day tour from st. malo to costa blanca in july which should start out for the first week or so on a similar path

cheers
leigh

Top Bottom