First Tour - short Time/Distance from Calais/Dunkirk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JackE

Über Member
Can I ask how you found cycling out of Dunkirk port to Veurne. I've read different opinions on this one, some people got hopelessly lost. I've cycled the Calais/Bergues/Veurne/Bruges route last year and agree that the Veurne to Bruges canal is a superb ride.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
JackE said:
Can I ask how you found cycling out of Dunkirk port to Veurne. I've read different opinions on this one, some people got hopelessly lost. I've cycled the Calais/Bergues/Veurne/Bruges route last year and agree that the Veurne to Bruges canal is a superb ride.

It's ok - not very pleasant, as it's a bit like riding a fast dual carriageway with nothing around you but industrial units and scrubland.

If I were doing it again, I'd follow the road out of the port, and switch to the D1 / Rue De La Republique as soon as I could. From there, you'd go through St. Pol Sur Mer, and could split off to go through St. Malo Les Bains before joining the Veurnes - Brugge canal. (We didn't, we headed inland slightly and went through Melhoueck and Ghyvelde).

Top Bottom