First Tour - short Time/Distance from Calais/Dunkirk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
:biggrin:

Mrs. Monkey has suggested that we drop the Monklets off at her Mum's, and take a short-ish tour in France this summer.

:blush:

The plan is to spend a couple of days travelling in France, possibly Belgium, travelling short distances (30-40 miles?) per day. Accomodation in French equivalents of B&Bs...

Any suggestions for nice places, routes?

Anyone done anything similar and think we're bonkers? (Mrs Monkey hasn't cycled much more than down the shops...)

What are the chances of pitching up at Chambres D'Hotes &c on spec?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
We did a short tour of Belgium from Dunkerque this Spring. It may give you a hint if you care to read it from the link below. It aint art but hey!!
It was very flat in that part of Belgium, and I mean flat, so may be suitable. As to turning up on spec, I'm not sure. I've done that in N France and always been ok but generally out of season. You'll probably be fine with liberal use of the Tourist offices - they are invaluable in France and always find something for you IME. Hotel or chambre d'hote.

Bodhbh

Guru
From Dunkirk you could take in the Belgian coast, Veurne then pick up the coastal path to Oostende, canal to Brugge, then back in land, possibly going via Ieper if it's not too far out. Very easy ride on the way out to Brugge with the prevailing wind, flat, good surface cycle paths, should be an easy day. On the way back though wind probably against you and might be best to take a couple of days or more if going far inland.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If you end up in Belgium I recommend the trappist brewery at Westvleteren and Ieper (Ypres) for the Last Post at the Menin Gate. Tyne Cot war cemetery nearby is worth a visit too.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Thanks for the suggestions - we've visited Veurne, and it's lovely, so that would be a good stop to include.

I'm toying with the idea of riding somewhere and stopping for this one (i.e. staying somewhere nice for a couple of days, and riding out from there - that way we can see how we handle the daily distance before committing to a tour proper).

RichP - your Belgian tour has already been consulted, and provided some inspiration, ta!

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sorry to impose again folks - looks like we're going to try the "proper" tour (i.e. moving on each day).

Any recommendations for maps of the area? Been looking at the IGN series, can't find the Belgian equivalent yet.

Fietslogies

rich p said:
If you end up in Belgium I recommend the trappist brewery at Westvleteren and Ieper (Ypres) for the Last Post at the Menin Gate. Tyne Cot war cemetery nearby is worth a visit too.

The abbey/brewery of Westvleteren can not be visited. But at the entrance, there's a café where you can have your Westvleteren.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Thanks again everyone - fietslogies, I've been checking out you bikely stuff, some nice routes there!

Tentative itinerary;

Day 1 - Train to Euston, Bike to Victoria (gulp!) Train To Dover, Ferry to Dunkirk, Bike to Veurne
Day 2 - Veurne to Brugge
Day 3 - Brugge to Ieper
Day 4 - Ieper to Bergues
Day 5 - Bergues to Ferry port & home via reversal of the train/bike journeys

(All dependent upon suitable accommodation &c)

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Excellent - thanks Richp.

Veurne is sorted - not sure if we got lucky, or picked a quiet week, but we've found a place that looks pretty good, just have to send them the deposit.

Mapwise, I'm leaning towards the Sportoena series - show bike routes according to level of traffic, which sounds handy.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I just bought the best road map available when I got there which was not a good idea in hindsight. We had inadequate maps until we found a shop in Ieper (day 3) and the choice was poor anyway. I'd been spoilt by the ready availability of Michelin maps in France and expected the same in Belgium so you're wise to get sorted before you go.

Domestique

Über Member
Rich_p we just booked at the Sultan for four nights in September, seems very reasonable for cost, our main concern when touring :smile:

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Done!

We got back yesterday evening - thanks very much once again to everyone for your suggestions and help, we had a great time. I'm hoping to write more about it on my blog (with the pictures). Definite cycling highlights were the canal from Veurne to Brugge, and the Niuew Weg bistro on there, giving my homebuilt wheels the ultimate test of 2km of cobbles on Steenstraat on the way to Ieper, and the point on the fietsroute that takes you though the grounds of a castle (also on the way to Ieper).

peanut

Did you see Brugge at night time ? fantastic. Like something out of a movie. Loved the horse and carriages appearing eerily out of the mist, the sound of their hooves clip clopping being masked by the ground fog.The swans drifting silently on the canals... spooky.

Loved your picture gallery ,look forward to reading your blog;)

Top Bottom