first walk of shame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I know its the wrong thread to ask this but just one point can i swap from a 12/25 to 11/28 on a ui2 without altering anything or is there more to it

You *may* need to adjust the length of the chain (needs to be slightly longer) to avoid the jockey wheels rubbing against the 28 cog. 3 extra teeth might not sound like a lot, but the diameter of the 28 is actually much bigger than the 25.

RWright

Guru
If you do change be sure to remove carefully and keep your 12-25, you may not like the 11-28. I have both and the bigger rear cog works better going up steep hills, but I prefer the 12-25 shifting and closer ratios much more.

Globalti

Legendary Member
11-28 is a good range of gears for an amateur rider. There's no shame in having a wide range of gears.

After such a long ride, what nutrition were you using? You need something extra after the first 90 minutes.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I personally do not like the 11-28 gets a bit gappy on changing. If you change I would imagine you would need a longer chain, and maybe a long cage rear derailleur. Not sure on the electronic rear derailleur what cage length. Seem like a lot aggro for little gain.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Keep the cassette you have, or if you must get a larger one, don't stretch the range in both directions if possible, you will end up with nasty gaps that make fine tuning on the flat a pain.

Also, I would say leave it a couple of days at least before going again, partly because you apparently rode to failure so will need time to recover, secondly, psychologically if you fail, do you want to have a number of fails hanging over your head on that hill so you end up talking yourself out of it before you even hit it the next time.

Ningishzidda

If you're using a single 36 tooth chainset, we'd be laughing.
If you have a 53/39 double, we'd be quietly chuckling.
If you have a 52/42/30 triple, we'd be howling.

Ningishzidda

The fact you got 'half way up and ran out of power' means the gearing is NOT to fault.

Knowing Winnats going upwards, half way might be 10 minutes, so you were aerobic for this time. Then you ran out of CHO. Before these types of endeavors, its best to neck some glucose syrup or heavy sugar solution 2 - 3 mins before the attempt.

You could also work at improving your VO2 max.

OP
OP
ianwoodi

ianwoodi

I am improving on the 12/25 just got a pb on 40km at 20.4 mph so will stick with it this year and see how i improve

Top Bottom