First wet commute - Yuk!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Joe24 said:
I once thought the same thing. No i thought, not whilst i am in school still, i will look stupid.
I am now in lycra and have been for a while:laugh:

+1

Although for me it was speedskating, not cycling that started my lycra habit. Transfers well to the bike though.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
HelenD123 said:
I'm wearing walking shoes at the moment. Would overshoes fit these? I do have some Aldi cycling shoes but I'm not sure I'm quite ready to go clipless yet.

I don't know how big your walking shoes are but I wear a variety of shoes including some that are a sort of walking style and I've got Gore-tex overshoes rather than the neoprene ones and I just bought them in a bigger size than I wear. It has to be quite wet before I'd wear them though - just a bit of a hassle putting them on, but worth it's really heavy rain. I also have water proof socks that I have been known to wear on wet days.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Guru
Thanks. I hadn't thought about buying a bigger size. I guess I need to find a shop that stocks them and see if anything fits.

domtyler said:
I had my wife wearing my lycra shorts at the weekend, she was a bit self conscious at first but soon got used to it.
picsofstfu.gif

sadjack

Uncle Mort said:
. And personally I'd rather have rain than wind :biggrin:

Depends which way its blowing! I'm built like a sail so if its a headwind its a sad day :biggrin:

Now if its a tail wind :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I was sad this morning....late getting in so a late finish.

This evening I hope to be grinning from ear to ear (as long as the wind direction has'nt changed) ;)

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
magnatom said:
Just build up speed, aim for a puddle lift you legs up and shout Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!;)

Disclaimer: Cycling through large puddles can be dangerous. There be potholes there!

not to be tried on a fixed wheel :biggrin:

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Guru
Right, I'm heading off back out into the rain. Wish me luck!

PrettyboyTim

HelenD123 said:
I'm wearing walking shoes at the moment. Would overshoes fit these? I do have some Aldi cycling shoes but I'm not sure I'm quite ready to go clipless yet.

I wear trainers on my bike, but have a pair of normaly shoes I change in to that stay at work.

I have covered my shoes in plastic bags before, held on with rubber bands. It works very well, although it's not exactly for the style-conscious...

I have also found that a good place to dry socks, shoes, gloves and the like is down the back of the computer where all the hot air comes out.

Probably best not to tell your IT department about it, though.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Guru
Made it back and got another drenching but nothing a hot shower couldn't fix. I gave my bike a wipe down and sprayed some WD40 on the chain and gears. Do I need to oil it as well?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Yes
WD40 isnt enough. You need some decent oil like FinishLine.
If you go to a LBS and ask them for some they will/should be able to sort you out.
Main thing i do when its rained is just wipe the chain, spin the pedals back and wipe again. If it needs it then i re-oil the chain. Stops any rust then.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Ooh, don't use WD40 on your bike, it might be a lubricant, but it's not very good for bikes. Just a wipedown with a cloth should be enough.

Top Bottom