First wet commute - Yuk!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Guru
I wasn't using it as a lubricant. I thought it might help disperse some of the water which is why I then asked about the oil. I'll know better next time!

monnet

Guru
The problem with wd40 is that it's a water dispersant- it's okay on some parts of your bike butreally bad for the chain. It goes right through all the links getting rid of the water but loosens the links at the same time. Wipe it over and use a bit of lubricant every so often to keep it running smoothly.

BTW - Helen, you've cycled straight in to a bike workshop war zone. EVERYONE has an opinion on how to clean your chain. Someone else will be along now with plenty of other (possibly contradictory) advice.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Guru
User1314 said:
Good piece of advice I picked up on here regarding cycling in heavy rain, is that staying warm is more important then staying dry.

That's why I decided to cycle in shorts. It wasn't cold so I figured I'd rather get my legs wet than boil inside some waterproof overtrousers.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep, shorts in the rain rather the trousers always.
Bare legs dry far quicker then trousers & no overheating.

hackbike 6

Great fun getting soaked.Im sure it makes you stronger.

Just got soaked tonight but was more concerned not sliding the bike over somewhere as it has a tendency to slip in the wet.

Tynan

Veteran
the lightest of summer kit has been fine in the rain, get cold=cycle faster

and embrace cycle kit, once you're worn it a few times it's feels fine and it's so much comfier to wear and makes you go faster

I'll admit I did hesitate the first time I put the new summer pro cut light blue Santini Pro bib shorts on

but they're brill, proper cycling mannequin I am now

Maz

Guru
Full lycra? You must be joking. I would look a complete nonce. I don't even have a road bike.

Top Bottom