First winter race series

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_G

Ive finally bit the bullit and registered for http://www.imperialracingteam.com/
Ive never raced before but you never know unless you try and i have a few questions if you wouldnt mind answering.
1) What should i take with me apart from the obvious.
2) I have BC siver membership, but if i want to score points is this ok or do i need a full license,
3) Has anyone on here raced in this series if so could they give me any advice.

Many thanks.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
2) You need a full racing license.

1) Bike, kit & licence is all you need. Spare wheels are very useful, as you don't want to be faffing about changing a tube 5 mins before race start.
2) You will need a full licence to score ranking points, but silver membership is fine.
3) Not raced the Imperial series, but Hillingdon is a fun circuit. If that's you in your avatar, then you might need to work on getting a bit lower.

Good luck ;)

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

1) Bike, kit & licence is all you need. Spare wheels are very useful, as you don't want to be faffing about changing a tube 5 mins before race start.
2) You will need a full licence to score ranking points, but silver membership is fine.
3) Not raced the Imperial series, but Hillingdon is a fun circuit. If that's you in your avatar, then you might need to work on getting a bit lower.

Good luck ;)
Yeah thats me, since that was taken ive flipped the stem and raised the seat, ive just found out that if i get a full license after the 1st Dec 2013 it will carry over to Dec 2014 so ill be getting one then.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Would not dream of laughing at anyone having ago at racing.. and if you get a puncture, you can always borrow the Zipps I'm running on my bike, or my bike if we are the same size...
I'm quite local to you and Hillingdon circuit, it would be cool to meet you @Andy_G

oldroadman

Veteran
Just remember it's only a winter series to keep reasonable fitness and maybe help some improve their skills. Watch carefully what the experienced riders do, and if you get told off by a senior rider, it will be for a good reason and be a learning process. With luck you will emerge a better rider to tackle the real racing when it starts in 2014. Mainly, concentrate, enjoy, see how you go.

Just remember it's only a winter series to keep reasonable fitness and maybe help some improve their skills.

Everyone will be bearing that in mind - until the race starts ;)

Watch carefully what the experienced riders do, and if you get told off by a senior rider, it will be for a good reason and be a learning process.

If he's riding in the 4ths only race, there won't be any 'senior' riders. The only way to avoid the inevitable mayhem and suicidal lunacy (which is par for the course in 4th cat racing at Hillingdon) will be to ride off the front, ideally with a few like-minded others.

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

At the moment i think about 3 other club riders are joining in, so hopefully we can work together.

Im kinda bricking it now with all the comments kamakazi riders.:cycle:

VamP

Banned
I've ridden a few of the Imperial series. It's par for the course for Hillingdon, the only difference is the weather. Not sure what it is about Hillingdon but it does seem to get particularly nervy fields. Hogg Hill, MK Bowl, Cyclopark all get friendlier crowds it would seem.

Riding off the front on your own at Hillingdon is not easy unless you're much stronger than an average 4th cat, as it always seems to be blowing a hoolie, and getting an organised group to work together isn't easy at 4th cat level, unless you know a few of the riders . In any case, enjoy.

oldroadman

Veteran
Everyone will be bearing that in mind - until the race starts ;)

If he's riding in the 4ths only race, there won't be any 'senior' riders. The only way to avoid the inevitable mayhem and suicidal lunacy (which is par for the course in 4th cat racing at Hillingdon) will be to ride off the front, ideally with a few like-minded others.

Correct about 4th only races, up to a point. Although there may be some degree of experience the proportion of, let's call them erratic and over-keen riders, can be higher than usual. Are the races not for 3/4 cats, where you at least will get some experienced old hands?

VamP

Banned
Correct about 4th only races, up to a point. Although there may be some degree of experience the proportion of, let's call them erratic and over-keen riders, can be higher than usual. Are the races not for 3/4 cats, where you at least will get some experienced old hands?
Nah, the 3rds get their own race. Just as crashy as the 4ths mind.

Top Bottom