First winter race series

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
They must have changed the format... It used to be 4ths, 3rds, and E12.

The 3rd and 4ths used to race within the same time slot, so at some point in the race, the 4ths bunch would get overtaken by the 3rds bunch, with much shouting of ''hold your line'' and ''oi''.

oldroadman

Veteran
I had heard of a series (Hillingdon?) where a 4th only race was run but no points awarded, and apparently the number of "offs" were much reduced. Do most crashes happen in the last lap or two when people get desperate to get a point and so take silly risks for a lower placing, instead of just easing back a bit and letting those in the first few get on with sorting out a winner? There must be a cause, and it's not hard to conclude that the number of poibts on offer for the lower positions is at least contributing to the problem. In days of old when I first started, it was twice in the first three or four times in the first six to get promoted up a category, which meant lower than that was only about any prizes offered further down.
Maybe the promotion needs to be separated from the ranking system somehow?
Now I'm off into the rain to get my legs moving - must be potty!

VamP

Banned
I had heard of a series (Hillingdon?) where a 4th only race was run but no points awarded, and apparently the number of "offs" were much reduced. Do most crashes happen in the last lap or two when people get desperate to get a point and so take silly risks for a lower placing, instead of just easing back a bit and letting those in the first few get on with sorting out a winner? There must be a cause, and it's not hard to conclude that the number of poibts on offer for the lower positions is at least contributing to the problem. In days of old when I first started, it was twice in the first three or four times in the first six to get promoted up a category, which meant lower than that was only about any prizes offered further down.
Maybe the promotion needs to be separated from the ranking system somehow?
Now I'm off into the rain to get my legs moving - must be potty!

I haven't heard about it, but would expect fewer entries, and a different mix of racers entering. Most 4th cats are chasing points - sad but true.

I am seeing crashes at all stages of the race - I think the main cause is that it takes a fair bit of racing to get the right habits, and be able to maintain concentration for the duration of the race. I suspect the main cause is lapse in concentration, combined with not having the right racing habits ingrained. An analogy would be the difference in insurance premiums for newly qualified drivers versus over 40s.

Having said that, I also think that talk of crashes at 4ths races is somewhat exaggerated. I have seen 3 or 4 in the last two seasons, and was involved in 1.

oldroadman

Veteran
I haven't heard about it, but would expect fewer entries, and a different mix of racers entering. Most 4th cats are chasing points - sad but true.

I am seeing crashes at all stages of the race - I think the main cause is that it takes a fair bit of racing to get the right habits, and be able to maintain concentration for the duration of the race. I suspect the main cause is lapse in concentration, combined with not having the right racing habits ingrained. An analogy would be the difference in insurance premiums for newly qualified drivers versus over 40s.

Having said that, I also think that talk of crashes at 4ths races is somewhat exaggerated. I have seen 3 or 4 in the last two seasons, and was involved in 1.

Glad to hear that, just back in and sorted out, it was probably the most miserable but mild day (drizzle, low cloud, lousy visibility) for a long time, but still, a few little climbs and slippery descents (and a puncture) livened the afternoon up!
I just would not want to see guys (and gals) put off by too much crash talk.:sad:

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

I've just checked and there are BC points for the first 10 finishers in the cat 4 races and first 20 in the series.

Top Bottom