First World Problem. ( contains car content)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’ve ordered a new car, delivery due Wednesday.

Dealer called yesterday said delivery date might be delayed because transporter broke down, dealer said that I could have car on time if I don’t mind someone driving it from the compound which is 70ish miles away. No worries says I, I’ll wait, it gets here when it does.

Today he’s called again. A communication error and the car is at the dealership with 79 miles on the clock. They’ve offered £370 compensation or I can reject the car and wait for another one to be delivered with only 5-6 miles on the clock.

So, all things considered what would you do?

( I know what I’m going to do, just interested in your opinion ‘cos I’m a bit bored)

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd wait. You pay extra for a new car so you can actually receive a new car, and I'd want compensation for the delay. If I didn't get it, my business would go to another dealer.

D

Deleted member 26715

Have you seen the way new cars are driven up the motorway? I've seen pre-registered cars with trade plates in the window in excess of 100mph

D

Deleted member 26715

I'd take the compensation and wait. There was no mis communication, they farked up.
I don't read it as an option, it's either take this car with the compensation, or wait for a untrashed car.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The car might have been ragged around a compound long before it had your name on it.

There's also the notion that a briskly run-in car makes for a brisk car.

So if - big if - it was given some beans on the motorway, it probably did it good.

Take the car, and use it and the compo to take the Mrs on a long weekend.

The Lakes can be pleasant at this time of the year when it's not so busy.

vickster

Legendary Member
Take the car (checking bodywork carefully) but ask for more compensation.
What’s the annual mileage, 79 is hardly much unless it’ll be barely used (in which case why waste money on a new car)

screenman

Legendary Member
Take the money, it is my a lump of metal and plastic after all, new cars seldom get tagged around.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Unlikely to be trashed to be fair.

That's a strong statement when talking about the motor trade for sure
In the big scheme of things 79 miles is neither here nor there unless it's an Alfa Romeo or Fiat in which case reject it and buy another make
But on a serious note if that was 1 mess up how many others have there been in the transaction gone untold ?
Go and check it over give it a drive then ask how long before they can get you a "new" car of the same spec

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Have you seen the way new cars are driven up the motorway? I've seen pre-registered cars with trade plates in the window in excess of 100mph
I'd suggest that is not common. A good friend of mine delivers new cars; from small cars up to top of the range Jags etc. Certainly for the contractor he drives for, he is responsible for any damage to the car unless it is admitted by a third party. So thrashing a car is likely to cause stone chips and possibly other visible signs of high speed driving.

Top Bottom