Fish Don't Fart

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
I tend to do my salmon in a foil parcel in the oven - so steamed, effectively. If I want the fish cold, I'll just let it cool in the parcel, and it stays lovely and moist.

Skin on filets in a non stick frying pan.
Touch of oil.
Skin down till almost cooked through and skin well crisped: 5 min?
Turn, for 1 min
Rest for 5 min.
Serve.

I love smoked oily cold-water fish - salmon, trout, mackerel. Never sure which is my favourite so in the quest to decide, I swap between the three of them. I have never decided, so the quest continues!

I love smoked oily cold-water fish - salmon, trout, mackerel. Never sure which is my favourite so in the quest to decide, I swap between the three of them. I have never decided, so the quest continues!

That's easy.

Smoked eel. :hungry:

I have made a lovely smoked mackerel pate for Christmas Eve. Was hard to keep the furry paws away from it... :laugh:

That's easy.

Smoked eel. :hungry:

I have made a lovely smoked mackerel pate for Christmas Eve. Was hard to keep the furry paws away from it... :laugh:

Never had smoked eel; never seen it in fishmongers or supermarkets round here. I don't fancy it if I think too much about it, but I'd be willing to try it. The reason I don't really fancy it is that eels seem to me to be more knowing than most other commonly-available fish.
I won't eat octopus at all.

Never had smoked eel; never seen it in fishmongers or supermarkets round here. I don't fancy it if I think too much about it, but I'd be willing to try it. The reason I don't really fancy it is that eels seem to me to be more knowing than most other commonly-available fish.
I won't eat octopus at all.

I really recommend smoked eel - if you can get it. Maybe if you'll ask your fishmonger, he or she can get some in for you.

Back in the day when I used to fish on the Ouse up at Littleport, you could still take any eel you caught. Ergo I used to smoke my own using a BBQ with a large can "chimney" thing a neighbour welded together for me, and green fruitwood trimmings.

So good with just bread & butter. :blush:

Chief Broom

Veteran
The Morrisons trout in a bag with garlic butter is pretty good. The trout is fresh every day. Some supermarket "fresh" fish can hang around too long.
This sea trout was fresh ^_^ caught in the Dornoch Firth :okay:

This sea trout was fresh ^_^ caught in the Dornoch Firth :okay:
View attachment 623259

Mmmmmm, I love sea trout. :hungry:

The fish counter in Tesco stocks it. I always snaffle it when it comes up on yellow sticker... :blush:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
At the very least cultural appropriation and more likely canceled because of Empire associations.
:laugh:
quite hard to "cancel" a recipe I think..... Is some woke nobber going to turn up in my kitchen and stop me putting curry powder in my frying pan?

There was a piece on the BBC news website the other day about a commercial octopus farm and the reasons why it is a bad idea. Octopuses are very sentient and keeping them captive is cruel. At least that was the gist of the article. Don't think I've ever knowingly eaten octopus.

Yes they are extremely intelligent and have a definite consciousness which few invertebrates seem to have. I met an octopus some 45 years ago when on holiday from the middle east in Sri Lanka; he lived in a little hidey-hole in a bit of a coral reef I swam past daily and I became quite fascinated by him. He/She would 'peep' out at me as I swam past - I saw him if I turned my head - but if I stopped or turned round, he darted back in. So I started to take him a bit of fish from my evening meal, and drop it outside his home as I swum past; after three days he was waiting for me to come! When I went back the next year I was delighted to find that he was still there and had become quite popular with the occasional western tourist who stayed at this tiny village.

There's a fascinating video on you-tube made by an aquarium enthusiast who bought a live lobster from a supermarket as he had a spare marine tank ... he did a follow-up on it a couple of days ago. Poor creature had had his claws rubber-banded together for so long that barnacles had grown on them ... First rescue video Keeping A Grocery Store Lobster As A Pet - YouTube update How Is Leon? - YouTube

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There was a piece on the BBC news website the other day about a commercial octopus farm and the reasons why it is a bad idea. Octopuses are very sentient and keeping them captive is cruel. At least that was the gist of the article. Don't think I've ever knowingly eaten octopus.
Keeping octopus is not easy. I had a large salt water fish tank in my workshop/shop as an attraction with shellfish like crabs and some small fish. Somebody brought me an octopus which I knew would not survive in captivity but insisted I kept it in the tank. Naturally it soon died as they need very specific conditions which I did not have. Since I was 20 yards from the sea it was no hardship to keep changing the water.

Top Bottom