Fish Don't Fart

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Looking back over last year, I remember that, at the ripe old age of 49, I did something for the first time ever:

No, not that (whatever it is that you are thinking of), it is buying fresh fish. Despite the family business on my Mum's side being the wholesale and retailing of fresh fish, I had never gone to a shop or market and bought any fish that was anything other than fish fingers or frozen prawns. Mum sometimes bought me a tail or steak of salmon, which was much appreciated and delicately poached, but I never ventured to buy it for myself.

That changed when our local supermarket changed ownership and became a Morrisons, complete with fishmonger stall in the 'Market Place' area. Since then I have tried Bassa, Monkfish, Mackerel, Cod, Haddock, Sea Bass, Sea Bream and Tilapia. I have grilled, baked, steamed and fried them, as appropriate.

Fish has a possibility of being much more sustainable and environmentally preferable way of eating protein. It takes up no land and fish don't emit any methane during their life or after death. There are serious problems with overfishing, and there are some environmental issues with fish farms that I haven't fully got to grip with yet, and fish that has travelled half way across the world in ships or planes is obviously a problem. Hence I try to buy fish based on environmental as well as taste requirements. Mackerel seems to score the highest in terms of sustainability.

In terms of eating, my son still likes his food quite plain, and sauces are off. He's none to keen in picking bones out, but his biggest complaint at the moment is tricky skin. However I still buy a whole fish every other week to give him some practice, but let him have a fillet in between times.

So, looking for any suggestions, hints, ideas on cooking and serving fish.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Battered :whistle:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Kedgeree is a great midweek supper, even though its supposed to be a breakfast for colonial types I think

Make your own giant fish fingers...

Trim up a few fillets of Basa into nice even pieces (here, the trimmings go into the cats), then double dip in egg and seasoned dried breadcrumbs. Put about 5mm depth of vegetable oil in a large frying pan and give them about three or four minutes a side until crispy.

I usually season my breadcumbs with lots of freshly-ground black pepper, smoked paprika, dried thyme and salt.

You won't buy fish fingers ever again. ^_^

Also good, is basa or hake wrapped in bacon. Sear in a pan and then pop in the oven (180C fan) for about 8 minutes.

Likewise hake or basa underneath a parmesan crumb. Turn a couple of slices of bread into crumbs, add lots of freshly ground black pepper, a pinch of salt, a good grating of parmesan (or any other strong hard cheese) and enough olive oil to make it wet enough to "stick" to the fish. Cover each piece of fish with the topping, then pop in a preheated oven (180C fan) for between 12 to 15 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish.

The crumb topping works well with a dollop of pesto in it as well.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
IMHO nothing beats, salmon grilled or pan fried with olive oil. If it's very fresh you can even eat it uncooked. Hardly any bones to worry about.
I'm surprised you can get Tilapia there as it must come from Africa. I've had it from frozen in the UK and never thought much of it but the fresh here is wonderful. Usually eat it with Banku (slightly-fermented mixture of corn-dough and cassava-dough made into dumpling) and chilli pepper sauce

Plaice is also very nice pan fried and again no bones. No sauce needed.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
IMHO nothing beats, salmon grilled or pan fried with olive oil. If it's very fresh you can even eat it uncooked. Hardly any bones to worry about.
I'm surprised you can get Tilapia there as it must come from Africa. I've had it from frozen in the UK and never thought much of it but the fresh here is wonderful. Usually eat it with Banku (slightly-fermented mixture of corn-dough and cassava-dough made into dumpling) and chilli pepper sauce
View attachment 623231

A fish farm in Lincolnshire has just started up which is providing fresh Tilapia to Morrisons supermarkets.

View attachment 623231

I tend to do my salmon in a foil parcel in the oven - so steamed, effectively. If I want the fish cold, I'll just let it cool in the parcel, and it stays lovely and moist.

And I make my own gravlax as well. It's ridiculously easy to do if you've a bit of patience. All you need is some salt, sugar, black pepper, dill, a suitable dish and a few cans of beans. A fridge is helpful also. :smile:

Top Bottom