How long will frozen fish keep?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have some frozen breaded cod fillets that have been in the freezer for, maybe, 6 months.
I decided to have a fish butty today only to find the instructions are to use within one month of freezing.
I assume there is a good reason for that??

D

Deleted member 1258

We usually have a box of battered fish in the freezer, they may be in there for months before they get eaten we've not had problems yet, I don't know why it should say eat within a month, I'll have to check our box and see if it says anything like that.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
We usually have a box of battered fish in the freezer, they may be in there for months before they get eaten we've not had problems yet, I don't know why it should say eat within a month, I'll have to check our box and see if it says anything like that.

Please do asap as I was planning a fish lunch🙂

D

Deleted member 1258

Please do asap as I was planning a fish lunch🙂

Nothing on our box that says eat within a month of freezing, the use by date is March 2024, I don't usually look at use by dates.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I thought the usual advice was to use within 3 months, but, I have definitely eaten frozen fish which had been in the freezer for more than 3 months, and, I am still here to tell the tale.

Not fish, but, when working in former USSR, in the 1990's, I did consume Coca-Cola which was six years beyond the "use by date" on the can, again, no ill effects (well, IMHO).

vickster

Legendary Member
I have some frozen breaded cod fillets that have been in the freezer for, maybe, 6 months.
I decided to have a fish butty today only to find the instructions are to use within one month of freezing.
I assume there is a good reason for that??

Was it fresh and then frozen or was it always frozen? The latter should be fine, and cooked from frozen.
what you say suggests you bought fresh and froze, if so have you defrosted, how does it look and smell?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I used to freeze mackerel when we caught loads of them. They kept us going for about 6 months but were beginning to go a bit strange by then. Never did us any harm tho'.
We also froze scallops when we had a lot from one dive but they never lasted all that long in the freezer as we could not resist eating them. :whistle:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Was it fresh and then frozen or was it always frozen? The latter should be fine, and cooked from frozen.
what you say suggests you bought fresh and froze, if so have you defrosted, how does it look and smell?

Bought from chiller and quickly frozen.

presta

Guru
Bought from chiller and quickly frozen.

I think the rules are different for fresh stuff that you've frozen at home because it's already spent an indeterminate amount of time unfrozen, whereas ready frozen stuff has been frozen as soon as possible. When I stock the freezer, I mark ready-frozen stuff with a date 3 months from purchase, but home frozen stuff I mark with the date they were put in the freezer, then try to use them fairly quickly.

tom73

Guru
Most freezer dates are to do with how long stuff will keep without effecting it's colour , taste , texture and Stuff like that.
As long as it not been refrozen or been allowed to start to being to defrost. It will be fine to cook and eat but just every thing else make sure it cooked all the way though.

Slick

Guru
I used to freeze mackerel when we caught loads of them. They kept us going for about 6 months but were beginning to go a bit strange by then. Never did us any harm tho'.
We also froze scallops when we had a lot from one dive but they never lasted all that long in the freezer as we could not resist eating them. :whistle:

I thought mackerel didn't freeze well due to the high oil content, which is why we always sold them when we got too much.

I'm with you on the scallops though. :okay:

Top Bottom