'Don't tell him Pike'.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Sadly the actor Ian Lavender who played Private Pike in Dads Army and who was the object of the immortal phrase has passed away aged 77. He was the last surviving member of the central cast.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68204488

View: https://youtu.be/_YMVPXmaKds?si=UwuQ8Zp7uUjBaqFw

Just heard that.....very sad.
I am 76 but even my father in law loved that program.
I still record and play episodes when show ie I am recording one today "Private Pike borrows Mainwarings staff car"........my wife never got it.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I just read it on the BBC :sad: . He studied at the Bristol Old Vic & by co-incidence, I've just walked back from there (site meeting) to read the news. Now three of my childhood shows that were big have no original cast members left now, On the Buses, Are You Being Served & now Dads Army....I feel old:sad:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
All the cast have now gone.
It won’t be long until there are no WWII veterans left. The very youngest ones would be 96.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I just read it on the BBC :sad: . He studied at the Bristol Old Vic & by co-incidence, I've just walked back from there (site meeting) to read the news. Now three of my childhood shows that were big have no original cast members left now, On the Buses, Are You Being Served & now Dads Army....I feel old:sad:

AND the magnificent 7 :sad:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Up on the Bristol to Bath Railway path as you approach Mangotsfield Station, there's a little homage on the information sign to Lavender's co-star, Arnold Ridley (Private Godfrey...'my sister Dolly'....) who was inspired to write the play, The Ghost Train by this station. By odd co-incidence, it was on a movie channel yesterday.

tom73

Guru
Up on the Bristol to Bath Railway path as you approach Mangotsfield Station, there's a little homage on the information sign to Lavender's co-star, Arnold Ridley (Private Godfrey...'my sister Dolly'....) who was inspired to write the play, The Ghost Train by this station. By odd co-incidence, it was on a movie channel yesterday.

The sad thing about that was when he was 1st starting out with very little work. He was in so much need for money he sold the rights to the Ghost Train. The play became very popular with the many amdram groups around the empire. It cost him millions in lost royalties, years later he told Jimmy Perry "what ever you do don't sell your work"

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Great shame. Dad's Army is funny on so many levels, not just the slap stick but the class differences too. It was superbly written, the cast had so many different facets to their characters.
Besides you've got to love a series where a character can say "tonight men, we have been entrusted with the defence of the south coast of England, from the Novelty Rock Emporium to the Jolly Roger Pier".

Top Bottom